Is it true thatmany applied bursary didn't get through indis

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: Is it true thatmany applied bursary didn't get through i

Post by mad? »

J50 wrote:Bursaries should be banned. If you can't afford it then tough.
I'm delighted that there are so many children on bursaries at DDs' school. Would hate to have a mono class environment.
mad?
J50

Post by J50 »

PurpleDuck wrote:
What makes you think that, J50?
That was a statement followed by a reason. Please read more carefully!! :D
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

J50 wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:
Well, if I read your whole post, you say 'if you can't afford it then tough' and that was the only thing you posted, so I guess this is your reason, isn't it? Perhaps my question was not best phrased, but I simply wondered 'what is the reason for your reason', if you see what I mean :)
Last edited by PurpleDuck on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

J50 wrote:
PurpleDuck wrote:
What a shocking thing to say. I can only assume you are being deliberately provocative.
scary mum
nyr

Post by nyr »

curiousapp, I personally know a girl who was offered 100% (or near enough that) bursaries at several leading North London independents and she's at NLCS now. She's bright and extremely hard working - she'd been on an 11+ campaign for at least 2-3 years and the very expensive (£60+ ph) tuition definitely paid off for her family.

nyr
salsa

Post by salsa »

Also, remember not to confuse a bursary with a scholarship. Schools offer both. Scholarships are given regardless of family income and bursaries are tied to a family income threshold. Therefore, if you get a bursary and start earning more as a family or inherit money, etc you would have to start paying school fees in full. Moreover, both bursaries and scholarships are tied to the child maintaining a certain academic standard. For example, if the child is overly prepared for the exam, but later on does not achieve high grades on all the other subjects, scholarships or bursaries can be revised. At least that is what schools say. For bursaries, parents have to go through the financial assessment annually and it is their responsibility to inform the school when their circumstances change. So, if one of the parents who was previously unemployed starts work or the other parent's income goes over their threshold.

The above makes me wonder what happens if you get a sports scholarship and later do not want to carry on with the sport? What happens if you get injured? Similarly, what about those music scholarships? What if the child does not want to carry on?

I know someone who pays 50% of fees at an Independent school, 25% for music and 25% academic. He loves the piano and was already grade 5 when he applied. He is still loving it, so, no problem there.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

nyr wrote:curiousapp, I personally know a girl who was offered 100% (or near enough that) bursaries at several leading North London independents and she's at NLCS now. She's bright and extremely hard working - she'd been on an 11+ campaign for at least 2-3 years and the very expensive (£60+ ph) tuition definitely paid off for her family.

nyr
I'm seriously not supporting J50's post, but if that is true, then I am sorely tempted :shock: . No doubt the whole family is very thin, but fit from all that walking?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

£60 per hour for 3 years! Was that once a week and they still got a 100% bursary?

Could that very expensive tutor not have got them into a grammar school for that? DG
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The above makes me wonder what happens if you get a sports scholarship and later do not want to carry on with the sport? What happens if you get injured? Similarly, what about those music scholarships? What if the child does not want to carry on?
It varies by school, but there will usually be specific terms and conditions. We know of one student who had to give up their Art scholarship when they decided to not to take it at GCSE for example. But in general schools have to take account of the fact that a child who is assessed at a particular level at 11, may not keep up the level of attainment throughout, and often it will be keenness to be involved that is instead assessed. It is unusual in my experience for a school to remove a scholarship (academic or co-curricular) until GCSE, when the scholarship may then be removed going into 6th form. But if the student gives up art or music entirely then that would probably result in a review. Academic scholarships in particular are always a bit hit and miss at 11, especially as they are assessed in just a couple of subjects at a particular point in time. Schools usually recognise that progress isn't linear.

It is worth noting that co-curricular scholarships may carry certain requirements eg being in ensembles/teams/workshops. Whilst a parent can insist that a 10 year old practices and participates, it is harder with a 14 year old especially if they have developed other interests over time. So I would be wary of applying for the sake of it - it really needs to be a passion.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

What a shocking thing to say. I can only assume you are being deliberately provocative.[/quote]

Of course he is, and the sensible thing is to ignore him. J50 has form on making provocative statements and then not being prepared to give proper reasons for them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now