Alleyn's interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nikita76

Alleyn's interviews

Post by Nikita76 »

Hi,

any tips for Alleyns interviews? Does it matter when yoour interview is? Ours is tomorrow ...
PurpleDuck

Re: Alleyn's interviews

Post by PurpleDuck »

Have a look at this earlier thread; I think one of the posts was referring to Alleyn's, too. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... s&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Scholars get invited midweek. Otherwise they have a set number of children who are invited to interview and they are spread over 2 Saturdays. You should be told who the interviewer is on arrival which gives you time to google and check what their subject is. (Ds's least favourite subject changed from French to Geog when interviewed by the Head of MFL)

The standard "leaving the interview room on the way back to the hall" question is to enquire what the student is doing for the rest of day. The student is at their most relaxed at that point having "finished the interview", or not! Certainly any hope of dc remembering "please don't refer to your older sibling at a different school" vanished at that point, though didn't make a difference to the outcome.
Nikita76

Post by Nikita76 »

Thanks Ladymuck! Do they invite children back in score order or candidate number? Seems impossible that they will randomly pick slots for candidates...

Does 'Why Alleyn's' (standard job interview question) ever pop up? Ds sat the exams for the ones that mom wanted... :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Nikita76 wrote:Thanks Ladymuck! Do they invite children back in score order or candidate number? Seems impossible that they will randomly pick slots for candidates...

Does 'Why Alleyn's' (standard job interview question) ever pop up? Ds sat the exams for the ones that mom wanted... :?
I would think of a suitable reason for Mom having chosen Alleyns as one of the favoured few, then, that your son will be able to trot out in a plausible (or even totally truthful) way, should he be asked :lol: . I'm guessing that, 'Your fees are lower than Dulwich' wouldn't necessarily be the thing to say (and tbh I have absolutely no idea whether this is true).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Well score is irrelevant at this point for Alleyns. Everyone has an equal chance once they've made the cut for interview regardless of whether they just missed out on a scholarship interview, or are there because they are a sibling. So it is really 50:50 - can't remember whether it was candidate number or surname that would have swung it.
Nikita76

Post by Nikita76 »

wow! I thought the interview was to kind of confirm that the child hasn't got horns, will fit in, etc. Sort of like an extra layer when you have to make the choice between the weaker scoring kids... God, it will be nice when this is all over...
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Alleyns is unusual in its admission policy admittedly, in having the exam and school report as a screening tool. And offers will be made to the majority of those interviewed, so my 50:50 wasn't your odds of a place, just your odds of guessing whether it is name or candidate number order. But Alleyns is renowned for surprises come offer day.
boardfleet

Post by boardfleet »

any idea on how many have been called back for interview? I overheard a scarily high figure which I can't believe is true.

By my estimate there are around 90 places available for non junior school children - be interesting to know how many they interview and offer to fill those places?
Nikita76

Post by Nikita76 »

according to their Registrar, 700 sat the exam, 300 back for interview for 90 spaces
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now