HaBs boys interview feedback

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AML

HaBs boys interview feedback

Post by AML »

After the boys' interview at HABS they unanimously agreed that they wouldn't want to go to a school like haBs. The lady conducting the group interview stated that she was very strict. Also in the group interview when she was asked to repeat a question by one of the boys she said it was too long to repeat.

This kind of attitude and along with reports of poor pastoral care is exactly why I'm glad we turned down haBs.

Why would a teacher want to scare the boys by saying she was very strict? In contrast other interviews at another establishment, boys have said they enjoyed it and they felt relaxed.
Aadi

Re: HaBs boys interview feedback

Post by Aadi »

How was the experience of parent -Head/ Second Master meeting. We found it very short and cold. Are they always like that? It may be that they have lots of parents to meet......but is 5 mins enough for them to get information about your child ? Or is it that they have already made up their mind on who they want to take and reject and their behaviour reflects that?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As I understand it from dealings with Habs girls the purpose of this meeting is for the parent to drive it and highlight any concerns they might have.

I have had three of these meetings and they have been very short as I had no doubt at all that both of my dds would thrive in the Habs community.

I should imagine it is very stressful for the staff to try and identify the best boys from a huge choice in a very short amount of time. If they appear cold and rude it is not their intent.

I do however take issue with refusing to repeat a question, that is rude and I would suggest that this aspect is fed back to the school.

Habs is not the right fit for all. They are academic schools who want self starters and perhaps some quieter characters do get overlooked. It is not easy to get it right all the time and in a large school some staff can behave in a way that lets down the school.

We were at a debating competition at the school where the staff were loudly supporting their own team and actually intervening when they thought other teams were breaking the rules, even though they were in the audience and were not judges.

I felt these staff were letting the school down but would not have let it stop me from choosing the school. And they didn't help their team as our team won anyway!

Focus on the reasons you chose the school in the first place and don't let one member of staff ruin it for you. DG
Aadi

Post by Aadi »

Thanks Daogroupie. As always you have been very clear. I agree its better to focus on if our DC would thrive in that school or not.
Miro

Post by Miro »

AML wrote:After the boys' interview at HABS they unanimously agreed that they wouldn't want to go to a school like haBs. The lady conducting the group interview stated that she was very strict. Also in the group interview when she was asked to repeat a question by one of the boys she said it was too long to repeat.

This kind of attitude and along with reports of poor pastoral care is exactly why I'm glad we turned down haBs.

Why would a teacher want to scare the boys by saying she was very strict? In contrast other interviews at another establishment, boys have said they enjoyed it and they felt relaxed.
Thank you for sharing your feedback. It was helpful.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Miro wrote:The lady conducting the group interview stated that she was very strict. Also in the group interview when she was asked to repeat a question by one of the boys she said it was too long to repeat.
I am absolutely appalled by this :shock:

Interviews are not meant to be intimidating but constructive exchange of ideas.

They are only 10-11 years old-I would put an anonymous complaint in and hopefully this individual would not be allowed anywhere near young children.
worried_mum

Post by worried_mum »

My DS went for Habs interview yesterday. It was good. The staff was also quite helpful and warm. He enjoyed the interview and had a good interaction with year 7 pupils . He said the teachers were really nice .
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you very much. Did they say when you would hear? DG
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

AML wrote:The lady conducting the group interview stated that she was very strict.
She carried on in much the same vein this week. In fact, she also told them that they would have to work hard if they got into Habs - and if they didn't like the thought of that, they shouldn't go there.

Can't fault her for being misleadingly pleasant :lol:

Coming from a school which sends a few boys to Habs every year, none of DS's interview batch seemed to be put off by this.

Yes, our meeting with the Headmaster was short, but cordial enough. I assume he's trying to figure out if the parents are genuinely interested in the school, whilst Mrs Strict assesses the boys.

I think letters are due to arrive in half term.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Mrs Strict needs to have an interview with me!

How is her attitude fair to state children?

Who does she think she is, an Oxbridge Don?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now