City of London for Boys - 11 Plus

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

daddytea

City of London for Boys - 11 Plus

Post by daddytea »

Has anyone received invitation for the interview?
If we don't receive by now, does that mean it is over?
If not how long will we need to wait.
Daogroupie

Re: City of London for Boys - 11 Plus

Post by Daogroupie »

Nobody I know of has heard yet. DG
daddytea

Post by daddytea »

They said posted yesterday first class, so may receive today or tomorrow.
daddytea

Post by daddytea »

Finally got it :-).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hope it was good news for you. They gave lots of notice. I know of a student who got 10th February yesterday so lots of time to prepare. DG
daddytea

Post by daddytea »

Thanks. I have to say the independent school selective criteria is much more stringent. There are many rounds of interview. This week DS will go to forest as well. I think we all denser a holiday after this!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not more stringent than the local selectives. One exam, one interview, no CEM. Give me their system any day. State schools are not allowed to interview or they certainly would.

I know plenty of students getting scholarships at Habs, NLCS, MT and St Albans who could not get anywhere near a place at Latymer, DAO or QE. I know of students in the 500's at DAO who got Habs, St Albans, City and NLCS. Habs boys were very very very interested this year in boys who got a high rank at QE. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

daddytea wrote:Thanks. I have to say the independent school selective criteria is much more stringent.
In the sense that you have to be able to afford the fees before even thinking of applying, then yes - having £20k+ a year to spend on schooling is a 'stringent criterion' in most people's books.

In terms of the actual process - depends how you define 'stringent', but if you mean 'more academically demanding', then surely not. It couldn't afford to be - they wouldn't fill the schools. There aren't the resources to wade through and attempt to differentiate thousands of pieces of creative writing, for one thing. Interviewing doesn't happen in the state sector as it is expressly forbidden by the admissions code. Places cannot be offered on the basis of how well one's parents bond with the head, or undefined 'qualities' a pupil is meant to demonstrate in a short and artificial assessment. It is a different system - I won't use the 'f' word (fair) as I don't think any of this selective lark could be called remotely fair, but it is not based on the same principles as the state system - only a small minority of children apply for independent schools.
Aadi

Post by Aadi »

@ Daogroupie.....you mentioned Habs boys were very much interested in students who got high ranksat QE. How do they know. Is this information leaked in anyway?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't want to discuss this until I am sure that all Habs boys interviews are now over for 11 plus entry 2016. Does anyone know if this is the case? You can pm me if you want. DG