CLSG results

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Biya

Re: CLSG results

Post by Biya »

Our DD2 secured a place. Can's wait to tell her :)
A passionate educator is like a candle, she/he burns to give light & warmth to kids... all of them.
Jenny67

Post by Jenny67 »

Congratulations, Biya! :D
Lloydcole

Post by Lloydcole »

Dd has an offer from CLSG. We are thrilled.
We now have to make a very difficult decision between CLSG and Godolphin. Both are amazing schools and we appreciate that we are very lucky to be in this position. Any views? ( We live pretty much equidistant from both schools with an equally short and convenient journey. Ds is at CLSB).
Jenny67

Post by Jenny67 »

Congratulations on the offers and what a lucky position to be in. My DD1 is very happy at CLSG. However, her BFF is very happy at Godolphin. I'd recommend attending offer holders open morning and have another look.
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Just a quick note for parents who might want to take up a CLSG offer. My own DD is there and loves it. The teaching is very good and the cohort is strong. There is a nice ethos as well.

A few caveats:

1. Last year DDs with offers missed out on places because the school had too great an uptake on places and changed the reply date at short notice. If you want the place, move with alacrity.

2. We just received notice that the fees will rise by over 9% next year. Over 9%! Frankly, we are price sensitive and chose CLSG because it has historically been more reasonable than NLCS or SPGS, we didn't even consider those schools. We reasoned that they are space constrained and could not embark on the capital building projects that some other schools have indulged in. There has been no real justification for such a swinging increase. I have no idea if this is a one-off, or the future under the new head.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

HotCrossBun wrote:
2. We just received notice that the fees will rise by over 9% next year. Over 9%! Frankly, we are price sensitive and chose CLSG because it has historically been more reasonable than NLCS or SPGS, we didn't even consider those schools. We reasoned that they are space constrained and could not embark on the capital building projects that some other schools have indulged in. There has been no real justification for such a swinging increase. I have no idea if this is a one-off, or the future under the new head.
That's extremely pertinent information, HotCrossBun. We turned down an offer at CLSG last year, but liked the school and I remain interested from afar. I understand that so many accepted offers last year that they had to instigate a bulge class, which proves that demand for their selective service at last year's price was very high. In business, increasing the price is a rational way to test/manage demand. Very few businesses hike prices at 9% a year though. Being contractually obligated to pay unspecified and uncapped annual increases would be a significant concern for many - it's why we turned down SPGS.

To those who are considering offers, do the sums carefully. It's a lot of money, no matter how good these schools are.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
adelante

Post by adelante »

Thanks a lot, very interesting points

On point 1, they are very explicit in the letter that offers will be dealt on a first come first served (but interestingly, the clock only starts on March 2nd, which I though was very considerate of people awaiting state school offer)

On point 2, I must admit that I did a bit of a double take seeing the amount quoted, since as for you, the relative cheapness of CLSG is one of the things that had attracted us in the first place (2-3 hundred quid is not life or death in relation to the fee amount, but over seven years, it mounts up). Uncapped increases, and their likely commercial ability to catch up to the ungodly amounts demanded by some of their competitors, are definitely something that would worry us. Crossrail is only two years away, and will probably significantly increase demand.
HotCrossBun wrote:Just a quick note for parents who might want to take up a CLSG offer. My own DD is there and loves it. The teaching is very good and the cohort is strong. There is a nice ethos as well.

A few caveats:

1. Last year DDs with offers missed out on places because the school had too great an uptake on places and changed the reply date at short notice. If you want the place, move with alacrity.

shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Beware of 'extras' on CLSG bills. Our NLCS fees were about £400 cheaper per term than CLSG.
adelante

Post by adelante »

Good old business trick of lower nominal cost, plus lots of addons? :mrgreen:
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

yes
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now