St Paul’s boys school - London

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shreyasa

St Paul’s boys school - London

Post by Shreyasa »

Hi
I’m looking for feedback from parents sending their kids to St Paul’s in Barnes.
I would like to know where do most of the kids who travel to St Paul’s stay and if your children are happy with the school. Thanks.
mad?

Re: St Paul’s boys school - London

Post by mad? »

I know of boys who live in Fulham, Ealing, Hammersmith and Brentford who go there, all very happy. However, I am sure there are boys there from all over London, it is just that I live in the West and so these are the ones I know of. Boys tend to go to Hammersmith tube and walk over the bridge or walk from one of the Barnes overground stations. Also of course, some boys board.
mad?
Shreyasa

Post by Shreyasa »

Thank you! This really helps.
hampsteadmum

Post by hampsteadmum »

There are currently 4 school coaches serving North/North West London (Hampstead, West Hampstead, Belsize Park, St. John's wood, Camden, Golders Green etc) a Wimbledon/Putney service and a Surrey service. As other posters have mentioned there is a very broad catchment area.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wimbledon/Putney and Surrey I understand but why would you go to St Pauls in Barnes from North London?

If there were no good schools in North London or easy commute from North London I would understand but there are plenty.

How long do these coaches take to Barnes? DG
hampsteadmum

Post by hampsteadmum »

I am not sure how long they take - but there are 4 routes serving the area. I expect around 45 mins? My son's prep in NW London sends about 15 to 20 boys to SPS every year and it is not the only NW London prep that sends boys there.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:Wimbledon/Putney and Surrey I understand but why would you go to St Pauls in Barnes from North London?
Not my experience I must say, the brightest boys from there tend to go to KCS.
Daogroupie wrote:If there were no good schools in North London or easy commute from North London I would understand but there are plenty.
Agreed. Has OP said they are from North London?
Daogroupie wrote:How long do these coaches take to Barnes? DG
No idea, must be a long trip, but the overground and Hammersmith tube are 5 mins away so I am surprised if they are used much past Y7.
OP, ask the school where they draw DC from?
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am alluding to the fact that hampstead mum kindly informed us that there are four coaches serving Camden, Golders Green, St Johns Wood. Belzize Park , West Hampstead and Hampstead.

Why would you live in these areas and send your ds to Barnes every day? DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:I am alluding to the fact that hampstead mum kindly informed us that there are four coaches serving Camden, Golders Green, St Johns Wood. Belzize Park , West Hampstead and Hampstead.

Why would you live in these areas and send your ds to Barnes every day? DG
I imagine for those nearer town that commuting into rather than out is more familiar and Hammersmith is less daunting. Either way the OP is not asking this question.
mad?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are not commuting into London.

They could apply for Westminster or City for that.

They are commuting across London from North London to South London in 4 daily coaches.

This is answering the OP question as to where are St Pauls boys coming from.

But I am asking the question why?

I am surprised to learn that St Pauls put on these coaches just like QE does and encourages these long commutes that are not required when there are much closer schools like UCS, City , Westminster and Highgate. DG