SPGS v JAGS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GGMum

Re: SPGS v JAGS

Post by GGMum »

Just wanted to agree with DG on the commute. We made the decision 2 years ago to send DD2 to South Hampstead rather than Habs which she preferred from the interviews and open days, partly due to convenience, and never looked back. Each time she has a music exam or dentist appointment I thank the gods she is only a few bus stops away. This last week I have had to go twice to the school in the evening for events and parents meetings and logistically it would have been an absolute nightmare if it had been an hour away from home.
I was also able to go with her in the morning for the first couple of weeks, and I sometimes pick her up after school if work allows. She loves that (still!)
I wouldn't give up a significantly better school but all of these are fabulous choices and I would think long and hard about the commute...
Obviously if you choose SPSG I am sure she will cope very well and love it there though!
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

DS has a long (but easy) commute to CLS (1 hour each way) and it is pretty grim in December/January when it is dark. I am commuting with him in the morning to chear him up a bit, not such a big deal as I also work on the Central line, and the school is fantastic, but it is tiring for young children.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

SPGS is a great school, and has kids from all over London.

Having said that the point on logistics is very valid.

Maybe it is worthwhile to do a couple of dry runs to both SPGS and CLSG after the term break to have a feel for the commute.

Very well done to your DD to have such fantastic choices.
sunandcloud

Post by sunandcloud »

Thank you everybody for all of the advice. I can feel all of your concerns. We are so grateful for all of your thoughts. We are sincerely thankful this forum is so helpful.
We have been thinking deeply all day, and it seems that dd has made up her mind to SPGS and DH agreed. So now I am also trying to think positive things. SPGS has frequent tubes for us with other options, and dd already is very familiar with the journey there. She can always find a seat for both way journey so she said the journey time will not be waisted(she loves reading Metro/Evening Standards on tube).
We will try a practise run to the SPGS, and we booked a Barbican concert this week, so we can have another look of CLSG too (although we have been to both schools many times during peak times before, so we know the journeys very well).
We will quickly release other schools' offers to give places to other girls.

Thank you all again for all of the help, and a special thank you for current SPGS parent and dd for PMing us.

SC
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now