How are you managing the wait?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OldBean

How are you managing the wait?

Post by OldBean »

I have to say, as someone who doesn't usually obsess, this wait is hard. I think it's not helped by the process not being transparent in the way it would be for state education allocation. I'm also having self doubt and regret that perhaps should have prepared child earlier, were those few months of weekly tuition enough when other people were tutoring for over a year. Anyway it's all driving me quite mad so thought it might be helpful for us lacking in confidence types to have a supportive thread where we can handhold.
enema

Re: How are you managing the wait?

Post by enema »

Agreed. We are waiting on 2 indies who let you know on the same day as the state offer. One interview seemed to go well, one was unreadable. Also having irrational worries about what would happen if DD went to an indy and it went out of business whilst she was there. Nothing to suggest this would ever happen, am overanalysing everything now.
Mumworried

Post by Mumworried »

and I thought I was the only one... the last few days are the hardest I think... waiting will be over soon for the Indies for me by the end of this week or beginning of next week..... then after that another 3 weeks on top for the state schools..

Good luck to all the DD & DS out there... may you get the best school ...

I am waiting for St Helen's Northwood and HABs girls (both schools offers posted on the 11th )and also Henrietta Barnett from the state side... will keep everyone posted if and when I get the letter from the Indies...

:roll:
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Hi OldBean/Mumworried,

It is not easy. We are literally counting minutes to Feb 12th. Stress is immense ! :lol:

Having said that, DW and I decided not even refer to 11+ when DD2 is around. We discuss almost nothing else when she is not around : priority of schools, various case scenarios, plans of actions etc.

It was much easier first time around tbh. We were not in London at that time, and the pressure is clearly less when you are outside London. We decided not to take any tuition this time as well, and we don't regret it.

Almost all indies we applied will announce results on 12th.

In the mean time, we are trying to occupy ourselves with watching lots of movies, a bit of cycling when the weather is good, and occasional glass of wine :lol:

All the best to all of you and your DCs!

CD
OldBean

Post by OldBean »

Glad to hear I'm not alone! Thanks for posting your stories. We have until Friday 19th, feels like a long wait :( Keeping busy with work and social stuff. We also don't talk in front of Dc about anxieties, they've had to do all the hard work and don't need to hear us worrying on top. Anyone notice how tired they were when it all stopped? You're right, being in/near London very difficult. Very little/no grammar provision in so much of it and the comps so variable. If they don't get in the alternatives (mediocre) are going to be hard for us to accept. Moving is far from an easy option.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

With all due respect, London is better served for grammar schools and independents than a lot of the country! Some counties have no grammar schools at all. And, if you are considering independents, at least you have the illusion of choice - some don't have that.
OldBean

Post by OldBean »

We are just out of London and no grammar schools Kenyan.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I was replying to CD - must have been typing as you posted.
Mumworried

Post by Mumworried »

well the waiting will soon be over... 4 more working days until the 12th....I pray that our postman delivers the offer/reject letter on Friday.... we have a very unreliable postwoman/lady....she turns up on some days extremely early and some days at 7.00pm and some days she doesn't turn up at all...

I wish they emailed the letters and followed it with a hard copy in the post ....

Good luck to all the anxious mums and dads and their darling children...
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Yes quite anxious here too. We get drip fed results over the next couple of weeks. The first result will be Tuesday 9th and the last Friday 19th February! The last one was the worst interview for DS so we're not confident - shame.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now