Highgate School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Re: Highgate School

Post by loobylou »

Londonmummy wrote:I think Highgate must have made less offers this year than last because by the time of the parents meeting almost all places have been accepted and those still with offers who have not paid the deposit were relegated to the wait list. I think Highgate is the only school in the area that do not honour the offer to the reply time deadline. Certainly this was the case last year. I know many parents albeit boys who were waiting for other schools to release the results who held back paying the deposit to Highgate thinking they had a bit more time to decide who ended up being ousted by parents who paid early. In Highgate defence they did warn parents prior to the offers being released that they over offer and use a "first come first serve" type system to fill their spaces.
I also heard this from friends who had been planning to await the results on 1 March but had to make their choice early or risk it being taken away...
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I remember being very keen to get my acceptance in two years ago as the offer letter hinted that they couldn't take everyone they offered to, but most schools would be in a pickle if everyone accepted, and it's unlikely given that most people apply to more than one school. Channing has an extra class in current year 7, it's not an exact science this offers to places business. Now the open days have happened, it might be worth you calling again Masu to see if there is any more news.
Londonmummy

Post by Londonmummy »

I think what makes it especially difficult for parents with interest in Highgate is that their deposit to secure a place is also a commitment for a terms fees, unlike other school in the area where its much less. So even if parents were willing to take a financial gamble the cost of doing so with Highgate is so much bigger. I agree, Masu should contact Highgate for an update. Best of luck but I do hope you had some kind of backup.
Eastendmum

Post by Eastendmum »

I heard from a friend that they were told it is highly unlikely that Highgate will go to their reserve list this year - apparently at an Open Morning this week it was said that they had nearly filled all their places. It seems to be that this is a school that lots of people want.
jellyhead68

Post by jellyhead68 »

After a day of deliberation we have turned down our offer this morning in favour of a grammar school. I hope all the places at Highgate haven't already been filled, and that our choice now benefits someone on the waiting list.
azbv

Post by azbv »

Hi masu,

What happened with Highgate? Did your son get in at the end?

I hope it is a happy ending for you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now