Merchant Taylors Entrance Exam Preparation (11+)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blue Mandy

Merchant Taylors Entrance Exam Preparation (11+)

Post by Blue Mandy »

Hi All,
My son is sitting the 11+ exam for Merchant Taylors School (MTS) in Northwood in Jan 2017. Does anyone have any tips of how to prepare for both the exam and interview?

Do I need to get a tutor or should we just prepare using material at home? If the latter - can anyone recommend any resources that are similar to the Merchant Taylors exam.

If anyone has any tutor recommendations please do let me know by personal message.

Any help much appreciated especially as he is my eldest so I have never done this before :?

Many thanks :D
scary mum

Re: Merchant Taylors Entrance Exam Preparation (11+)

Post by scary mum »

I googled "Merchant Taylor's entrance exam" out of curiosity and found this on the school website. I hope it helps.
http://www.mtsn.org.uk/admissions/speci ... ce-papers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to focus on the exam and don't even think about the interview until January.

The exam format is straightforward so with some focused revision I am sure you will be able to secure an interview. DG
branmoment

Post by branmoment »

In line with several other schools, MTS is abandoning the VR paper in 2017. Not sure what is going to replace it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The boy's schools are behind the curve. The girls schools, Habs, and St Albans abandoned the VR this year and had more time to spend on comprehension, Creative Writing and Persuasive Writing.

I really hope St Albans and Habs boys will now do the same. DG
AML

Post by AML »

The MT website still says VR will be in the 11+.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Is your son in a prep school or state school? if the latter I would recommend a tutor, if a prep school it depends if they are a usual MTS feeder school or not?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now