Prepration for 13+ Common entrance

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sham7490

Prepration for 13+ Common entrance

Post by sham7490 »

Hello every body. My son is currently at year 6 and he is in the prep school. He sat for Tiffin school 11+ entrance and he has been offred a place. On the other hand he got the 13+ entery at Westminster school as well.Our heart is with Westminster , however he needs to stay in his prep school for another 2 years which he is not happy about it. So much bullying is going around in the school and he hates his school. I was thinking maybe I can take him to Tiffin for 2 years and then he will sit for common entrance in year 8, however, I am not sure whether he would pass the common entrance while he is not in prep school.
I would appreciate if anyone could advice me in this regard as I am very confuse :roll:
Bazelle

Re: Prepration for 13+ Common entrance

Post by Bazelle »

Hi, be careful, I think I've Seen a post in Mumsnet about something similar, he might not be allowed to do the common entrance from a state school (that sounds like discrimination so might not be true). I would check with Westminster directly and hopefully someone will post more precise information.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

From the ISEB site:
Can pupils from state schools sit Common Entrance?
Yes, pupils from the maintained sector can sit Common Entrance and many do, particularly at 11+. Pupils are usually entered by their parents using the registration form available in the parents' section of this website. At 13+, advice should be sought from the chosen senior school about the papers which need to be taken, and at which level. Some pupils from the state sector will be able to sit the examinations in their current school; others will need to find a suitable sitting centre, such as a local prep school or a tutorial college.
Probably more difficult to do from state school as they will be doing other things at the time whereas state schools will be full speed at the CE.

Bullying is intolerable and if he hates the school then move him - if he hates it so much then he won't do himself credit in the CE
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Tiffin will not be trying to prepare him for CE though, so you need to bear in mind that for many of the subjects, especially humanities and probably languages, the syllabus will be quite different. You are therefore making his preparation harder as Tiffin will also expect him to be up to speed with their syllabus. Tiffin will also be a different social experience, so you need to consider that too.

Obviously you need to move your son - bullying is intolerable. But with a Westminster offer in hand you should have no problem in finding an excellent prep school which will prepare him for CE, possibly even to scholarship standard, and with that in mind I would look to move quickly.
sham7490

Post by sham7490 »

Thank you everyone. I really need to move him as he absolutely hate the school, but my problem is if I move him to another prep school, children has already make their friends and for mu shy boy maybe even more difficult to bond with others and his fear is being on his own with no friends. with Tiffin, as they all start at the same time, easy to make friend but just not sure how to prepare him for CE.maybe by getting ISEB books and tutor him on my own?
Bazelle ,That post in mumsnet is also mine. try to get as much as info I can :cry:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why is the current school not tackling the bullying? Have you made a formal complaint?
FAC51

Post by FAC51 »

Most preps lose a few boys at 11+ and are happy to take new joiners into Yr 7. I think you'd find that your DS won't be the only newcomer. At least call 2-3 schools and ask. They'll be more than happy to take a DS holding a Westminster offer.

It's not impossible to prepare for CE from a state school, but you will be making it harder for yourself. But at the same time, he will perform best in an environment where he's happy.

Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now