Schools in London with good arts provision/ scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hanaF

Schools in London with good arts provision/ scholarship

Post by hanaF »

Hi, I am asking on behalf of an expat friend planning to return for her dd (now 8) secondary education. Dd is studying at an international school in Shanghai, doing well enough but not the most academic child (compared to my ds who is now preparing for his 11+ and some of her Shanghainese peers). As dd is quite gifted in visual arts, they are wondering if there are any good schools in London with an excellent reputation in arts and/or offer art scholarship?

Many thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: Schools in London with good arts provision/ scholarship

Post by Daogroupie »

City of London School for Girls have Arts Scholarships and so do Haileybury in Hertford. I am sure forum members know of more. DG
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

In my experience arts scholarships tend to be a token amount rather than as any sort of contribution to the fees. City of London, for example offers a max £1500 scholarship on fees of nearly £18000.

Most private schools in London, academic or not, have good arts provisions and were you to attend some schools open days, you could judge their facilities and standard of work. Would it be possible for either you or your friend to visit?

I am sure other users will have more specific information.
Beck_mum

Post by Beck_mum »

Trinity school in Croydon offer an art scholarship and have great art facilities.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Many of the GDST schools like Bromley High have excellent art provision and facilities.
raisingkids

Post by raisingkids »

Allyens offers an art scholarship for 11+ and so does Emmanuel. Previous poster is right about most independent schools having a good provision for visual arts, music and drama, but most don't offer that much off in terms of fees. Best visual art departments I've seen has been Kingsdale by far (state) and Chestnut Grove (state). The rest are pretty much the same and interchangeable in the top state and independent schools.
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

Thank you all, the schools look promising, they didn't think much about the state sector yet apart from Holland Park (mixed reviews) but will take a look at Kingsdale and Chesnut Grove. Just have to visit the schools when they arrive to get a feel of which one suits their dd best. Personally, I think our local grammars have very good art provision, but the mum doesn't have faith in dd's academic ability (so possibly Alleyn's and City would be out of her reach too).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now