SPGS pre-test

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

S999

SPGS pre-test

Post by S999 »

Hi there
Does anyone have any idea about the St Paul's Girls pre-test? My DD is sitting next week. It's a mix of maths, english, reasoning?
Thank you!
Daogroupie

Re: SPGS pre-test

Post by Daogroupie »

This is CEM. Go and look in the CEM thread.

The best way to prepare is to do some CEM, you can buy CEM books in the 11 plus section at Waterstones or Smiths.

Also you need to post this in the Independent schools Region

Mods could you move this please.

Thanks

DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:This is CEM. Go and look in the CEM thread.

The best way to prepare is to do some CEM, you can buy CEM books in the 11 plus section at Waterstones or Smiths.

Also you need to post this in the Independent schools Region

Mods could you move this please.

Thanks

DG

Just be aware, though, that the real University of Durham Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring does not produce practice material other than the short familiarisation papers available on the websites of the schools and local authorities that use their exams, nor does it authorise any other publisher to do so on its behalf (http://www.cem.org/entrance-assessments). There has already been one post on the forum this year from someone who seemed bemused that the content of the actual 11+ exam that their DC took differed from the 'practice papers' in the books that they had bought...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Celeste999

Post by Celeste999 »

DD is due to sit the spgs test soon and sat a couple of similar CEM online tests over the past few weeks for other schools. From what DD told me, I can confirm that they didn't bear many similarities to CGP/Bond/FPTP etc (CEM specific) practice books, notably in maths and NVR. English/VR (very vocabulary heavy) and comprehension seemed to be quite similar but I guess these are pretty standard. Of course she told me after each exam that the practice she did beforehand was mostly useless :shock: :? We've already heard she did well. Even if she doesn't admit it, I'm sure what we've done must have helped a little, notably in terms of time management.
As far as spgs is concerned, my understanding is that the majority who sit the computer test (i.e. 75-80%) go on to the next stage so I would not worry too much about it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is really really helpful feedback. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I am interested to hear that the Maths and NVR was more different than the English VR. Was the former more like non CEM Maths?

In terms of numbers it would appear from your feedback that SPGS is not really using the pre test to reduce the numbers. What would you say the purpose of it is then?

I would be interested to know which other schools you did this type of pre-test for. PM me if you would prefer not to name these schools. DG
Celeste999

Post by Celeste999 »

Dao... I have PM you.
S999

Post by S999 »

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Go and look, as you ordered DG, I shall do!

THANK YOU.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now