Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:55 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 pm
Posts: 6
Hi Everyone,
Although my son is in year 3 at a state primary, I'm starting to think about and do some research for his secondary school options. What would be the benefit/ pros / cons of trying to gain a scholarship / entry into Orley Farm for years 7 and 8? rather than straight into year 7 at a secondary school. Has anyone got experience or opinions on this? I would really like to hear from you as I wonder if it is something I should consider. Thanks for your help :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4597
Location: Essex
CrazyAcademic wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Although my son is in year 3 at a state primary, I'm starting to think about and do some research for his secondary school options. What would be the benefit/ pros / cons of trying to gain a scholarship / entry into Orley Farm for years 7 and 8? rather than straight into year 7 at a secondary school. Has anyone got experience or opinions on this? I would really like to hear from you as I wonder if it is something I should consider. Thanks for your help :)


One point to consider is that if he goes to an independent school for those two years (I assume that this is a prep school?), you have to be prepared to commit yourself to continuing in that sector. In-year places at state secondary schools (especially good ones with very little movement of pupils before year 12) can be difficult to come by.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 6691
Location: Herts
Bad idea in my opinion. As Toadmum says you are then stuck in the private sector.

As you have plenty of time far better to be doing some regular extra work to work towards a good state school. DG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4597
Location: Essex
Daogroupie wrote:
Bad idea in my opinion. As Toadmum says you are then stuck in the private sector.

As you have plenty of time far better to be doing some regular extra work to work towards a good state school. DG


Or to relocate to somewhere where you are happy with the state secondary school options?

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 pm
Posts: 6
Thank you so much for all your replies. Yes it's an independent school. I think I'll shift my focus to QE boys and St Bernard's grammar. Thanks again :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 4606
CrazyAcademic wrote:
Thank you so much for all your replies. Yes it's an independent school. I think I'll shift my focus to QE boys and St Bernard's grammar. Thanks again :)

Thosae are two quite different schools in very different places if you mean St Bernards in Slough??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 pm
Posts: 6
Yes that's right St Bernard's in slough. Quite a few children at my son's primary school sit the 11 plus to get into St Bernard's and I know one boy got into QE boys too. Many go for tuition at a popular tuition centre in Slough but I'm trying to do my own research now so there is less panic when we get started. I think QE boys follow the GL exam format and St Bernard's follow the CEM format so that will be a challenge but nothing I do is ever straightforward so I'm not surprised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:32 pm
Posts: 189
Don't assume he will get 'scholarship entry' also.

In that part of London they are not worth much.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 6691
Location: Herts
What area do you actually live in?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016