New Hall, Brentwood or Westcliff?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mkl

Re: New Hall, Brentwood or Westcliff?

Post by mkl »

schoolrun wrote:I love New Hall too!

The IB does sound like a very good curriculum. It's interesting that you chose Brentwood and New Hall over CCHS. I guess with your child at CCHS standard, the two schools would've enticed you with max scholarships. That would be a dream. Well done to your daughter and thanks for sharing this. I wish her every success with her uni choices.
[/quote]

Thank you for your well wishes :)

It was love at first sight with New Hall 4 years ago. I learned to love Brentwood just as much. I didn't feel any spark toward the grammars. DD quite liked Southend Girls but not the other 2.

Yes, max from both but it was her artistic talent that maxed it - high academic ability alone wouldn't have been enough. In the top set, her peers are highly academic + highly musical/artistic/sporty.
Being surrounded by musical girls encouraged her to keep playing her instruments. She is a reluctant musician. She would have dropped music long ago without the influence of her peers.
mkl

Post by mkl »

schoolrun wrote:University is a priority for the family - Russell Group or Ivy League. Thanks
Both Indies have departments/staff dedicated to winning offers from first choice UK unis (not sure if we will get significant help with Ivy League). There are critical thinking classes and mock interviews for Oxbridge aspirants.
mkl

Post by mkl »

schoolrun wrote:
That's a lot of languages to be made mandatory (Brentwood) !! All of them?? DD is keen in Spanish but indifferent towards French.
[/quote]

You can drop 2 of the modern languages in the 2nd year (in exchange for Ancient Greek and Global Perspectives). DD has a logical brain and is enjoying Latin, Greek and German. Latin is compulsory for 2 years.

At New Hall, only French is compulsory in the first year. Spanish is optional in the 2nd year I think.
mkl

Post by mkl »

GazBic wrote:My son took New Hall tests this week too - when do we find out the results and whether they are offered a place?
Offers before Christmas and scholarships in February.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Sounds great. Thank you.

mkl wrote:
schoolrun wrote:University is a priority for the family - Russell Group or Ivy League. Thanks
Both Indies have departments/staff dedicated to winning offers from first choice UK unis (not sure if we will get significant help with Ivy League). There are critical thinking classes and mock interviews for Oxbridge aspirants.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Language skills are excellent for careers.
Global perspectives sounds very grown up but sounds great for their thirsty minds!

mkl wrote:
schoolrun wrote:
That's a lot of languages to be made mandatory (Brentwood) !! All of them?? DD is keen in Spanish but indifferent towards French.
You can drop 2 of the modern languages in the 2nd year (in exchange for Ancient Greek and Global Perspectives). DD has a logical brain and is enjoying Latin, Greek and German. Latin is compulsory for 2 years.

At New Hall, only French is compulsory in the first year. Spanish is optional in the 2nd year I think.[/quote]
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

One of these schools has a massive advantage - it is a state school. :D
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

Clever girl. You must be so proud.

I attended Westcliff sixth formers open day and didn't feel a spark but the head's speech, my chat with the librarian and a couple of sixth formers who'd set their sights on Oxbridge and their general confidence and happiness with the school were all encouraging. They'd both been there from year 7 so I got their earlier perspectives as well.

Decisions-decisions. It will all unfold in time.
mkl wrote:
schoolrun wrote:I love New Hall too!

The IB does sound like a very good curriculum. It's interesting that you chose Brentwood and New Hall over CCHS. I guess with your child at CCHS standard, the two schools would've enticed you with max scholarships. That would be a dream. Well done to your daughter and thanks for sharing this. I wish her every success with her uni choices.
Thank you for your well wishes :)

It was love at first sight with New Hall 4 years ago. I learned to love Brentwood just as much. I didn't feel any spark toward the grammars. DD quite liked Southend Girls but not the other 2.

Yes, max from both but it was her artistic talent that maxed it - high academic ability alone wouldn't have been enough. In the top set, her peers are highly academic + highly musical/artistic/sporty.
Being surrounded by musical girls encouraged her to keep playing her instruments. She is a reluctant musician. She would have dropped music long ago without the influence of her peers.[/quote]
GazBic

Post by GazBic »

mkl wrote:
GazBic wrote:My son took New Hall tests this week too - when do we find out the results and whether they are offered a place?
Offers before Christmas and scholarships in February.
Thank you, I was aware it was before Xmas, I just wondered if there was a specific date ?
moved

Post by moved »

My two went to the Chelmsford Grammars and both changed for sixth form: one for Colchester boys and one for New Hall. New Hall was great for DS as he had low self-esteem and the pastoral care was superb. DD had issues at the beginning of yr 13, completely outside school and the pastoral team were again superb.
Both DC wanted traditional academic courses at university and DS is in Bristol now following on from his two successful years at New Hall. DD may be at Bristol next year, she has an unconditional offer but is waiting to make her choice.

I agree with everyone on here that your DD should choose her school for the next 5 years and then see what she wants to do later on. Choice of A level subject influenced DD and may influence yours too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now