North London Girls Consortium

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

DD didn't get the algebra question with 3 variables - she didn't know where to start with that one - but said the rest of the maths was easier than she expected (which does worry me!). She said the English was easy but then mentioned several bits which she hadn't understood.... It's probably best just to wait and see....... :?
asha

Post by asha »

I wonder what they are trying to guage by setting a question (the algebra one) that clearly hasn't been covered in school.
londongirl

NLC exam today, Friday 11th.

Post by londongirl »

DD says the Maths was SO hard and very long. Told me that she left out a 3 part algebra question, I think the second last one on the paper, but managed to do most of the last question (which I am hoping was a harder one with higher marks!). Also tells me that she felt shocked when she saw the paper. Not great feedback from her for sure, but when I spent time trying to convince her that she probably did all right, she started to remember about 25 questions that she though she had got right so I told her that if she things THEY are right, and we don't KNOW whether the rest are right or wrong, they could be RIGHT, so not to worry too much.
Said the English comprehension was very easy, and that the feedback from other girls all around her was that they found it very easy too.
Confusion about how many questions on the maths paper She is saying there were 38, a friend says it was 45. Anyone know the real truth.?
picasso

Post by picasso »

My Dd also found the maths difficult- said it was more difficult than the Habs paper yesterday and that it was nothing like the sample paper. Couldn't remember how many questions there were but said that there were lots- couldn't do the last question, although tried it. Said there were no pie charts or bar graph questions but there was a symmetry question -mainly just long problem type questions.

Also said the English paper was straightforward and that the essay was just a continuation of the comprehension

It's going to be a long wait until next week.....
londongirl

Post by londongirl »

I don't think we will know by next week though. I thoughwe would'nt know until February 21st, or are you trying for a school that only interviews people who are successful in the test hence an earlier result?

DD very disappointed , says she knows she won't get her No 1 choice now and was a bit concerned that she had completely blown it. Said she feels very very confident about her English though. Anyone know what kind of pass mark they are looking for on each. And what is it marked out of?
picasso

Post by picasso »

We are trying for a number of schools in the consortium group 2. NLCS gave out a letter today stating that letters would be sent on Fri 18th Jan advising as to whether or not girls had been succesful in the examination and would be invited to attend an interview. I presume then that if you don't get invited to an interview the application as far as NLCS goes ends there.

Don't know whether they interview all girls who have passed the exam or whether they just take the top few. Anyone know?
Guest1107

Post by Guest1107 »

They interview 150 girls not sure if top 150 or a combination of results and report from last school.
In answer to how many questios there were for Maths. Apparently there were 39.
asha

Post by asha »

They don't seem to have tested them on many of the obvious topics. Even the Symmetry question was tough. There was another very tough question on cost of rabits.

The cut off for the Maths paper will definitely be low given it was such a tough paper.
aifos

Post by aifos »

My daughter sat at Channing. They only interview based on results, beginning the following week so must hear something this week coming.

She found maths difficult (normally her strength). She said there were 39 (38 in practice one) questions, only got to number 37.

Good luck to all !!
londongirl

Post by londongirl »

thanks Picasso for reply (and everyone else who clarified my "how many questions " query. Our school choices give an interview to everyone. Anyone else out there with any feedback on particularly hard questions. When I asked DD about the Rabbits one she said that it was impossible.
Which one was the algebra with three variables, last or second last. Not sure why I am asking really but I feel better just asking someone and can't ask DD now as feel we are best leaving it be and being very positive about the next exam!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now