North London Girls Consortium

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

picasso

Post by picasso »

My Dd said that the rabbit question consisted of trying to work out the cost of the rabbits. She says she guessed the answer but it was very difficult because the prices of the two rabbits they gave were different and so it was almost impossible to work out the cost of the remaining rabbits.

The algebra question she says was a two part question (don't quote me on that) and that it was in the middle of the paper.

The last question was divided into six parts and was a shape question. She says it was very difficult and went down the lines of square plus oval equals a triangle and you had to work out the numerical value of each shape. No number could be more than twelve...no clues were given as to what the numbers could be. One of the questions was a square plus square plus square equals oval. My Dd worked this out as being a cubed number, so each square represented the number 2. I am told that there were over ten sub questions like this within the last question on the paper.

The mind boggles, you have to ask whether this sort of question is appropriate for a mere ten year old. I'm sure I would struggle with most of these.
asha

Post by asha »

DD says in the last question you had to "decode the shapes into numbers".

She found the dice question, the rabbit question and the algebra question the hardest.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Has anyone had letters about interviews yet? Since interviews start next week should we expect them in next day or so? Here's hoping!
foldgate

Post by foldgate »

nothing yet
picasso

Post by picasso »

Letters will be posted out on Fri 18th.
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Hi picasso. Do you know, is that for all consortium schools in the group or just one school in particular that you contacted?
picasso

Post by picasso »

It's for all the schools in Consortium 2 that don't interview unless you pass the exam. I think that includes Channing, City of London, NLCS, St James. I don't know about Northwood College or Queens gate.

More House and Godolphin and Latymer interview all candidates registered regardless of exam results so they will post their results on the 21st Feb.

All schools in the consortium will post their offers on the 21st Feb but I think if we do not hear from schools regarding interviews then we can assume that the application will go no further.
asha

Post by asha »

Queens Gate also interviews all applicants. We were told that the schools mark the exam papers on the same day as the exam. Makes you wonder how they read 500 plus essays and go through all the Maths in just a few hours!
Enter Dad...

Post by Enter Dad... »

Dd attended Northwood College interview on Wednesday. They interview all candidates regardless of the exams results. They will now write around 21st February.

We were told that the papers were marked on the same day of the exam. I suppose it's easy to mark Maths as one is either right or wrong, but I too am curious how they read all the essays. Perhaps 5 teachers go through the lot.
asha

Post by asha »

Yes, but if an answer is wrong in Maths, the teacher must go through the child's method - and perhaps give a mark or so if the method is correct but answer wrong owing to an error in calculation.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now