Habs boys selection

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TMW

Habs boys selection

Post by TMW »

Hello All.

I wonder if anyone can help with this question about how Habs boys select for interview? The material says that the will start arranging interviews, for boys who reach the qualifying standard, as from January 16th. Does that mean they have marked all the exam papers by then? I guess it seems obvious but I just wanted to check.

Didn't get much feedback from my son, except he thought the maths was easy. Not always a good sign!

Does anyone have any experience from previous years as to what might be the qualifyign standard or how many boys (% wise) get eliminated at exam, as opposed to interview?

Thanks
simon

Habs boys selection

Post by simon »

My son thought the maths and comprehension was quite hard. I think we will hear whether they have interviews by Saturday or Monday. I heard that they interview about half of the boys.
TMW

Post by TMW »

Hmm, I thought that might not be a good sign. If he thinks it was easy he may have missed some questions....

I gather there were well over 500 boys allocated with numbers?
simon

Habs

Post by simon »

I reckon there were about 600 (we were 577).
fedupmum

habs selection and interview

Post by fedupmum »

One of the mums there said there were 570 sitting which she has been told by one of the masters present. I assumed ( well, hoped!) that this would include the 13+ boys who were also sitting that day.

My son thought the maths was okay and many of the kids finished it in good time. He also thought that the comprehension was easier than those he practised ( and this is his weak subject). So far so good. Or so I thought. Then he dropped the bombshell- he missed 16 verbal reasoning questions!! Yikes.

Reading posts from last year, they interview 175 and offer 100. There are kids from the prep school too and my son reckoned that some of the boys he talked too did not have Habs as their first choice of selective school.
So goodness only knows. But it may mean that those who get offered also get offered from their first choice.Thankfully it is nearly over......

Hope you get what you want. We wanted Habs but I feel that in light of the missing VR answers that it is very very unlikely!
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

Hi fedupmum

Don't give up hope! A few years ago our ds said he missed out a similar number of the VR questions for entry into City and we thought there was no way he would get an offer - and he did!
fedupmum

Habs

Post by fedupmum »

Thanks so much herewegoagain! Reassuring to know that. We'll wait for the weekend and then look forward to the ritual bonfire of all the papers - woo hoo!
pochu

HABS

Post by pochu »

Does anyone know when the letters will be sent to the boys who have not been selected for interview at Habs? Will they be at the same time as the boys who have been lucky enough to be called back?

I have had quite a few anxious moments as my son has been now declaring all sorts of things he did not complete in the papers, and we now feel panicky as Habs is our first choice!
lion63

Re: Habs boys selection

Post by lion63 »

simon wrote:My son thought the maths and comprehension was quite hard. I think we will hear whether they have interviews by Saturday or Monday. I heard that they interview about half of the boys.
My son did the HABS exam last year.

Letter sent for interview on Friday 12/1/07 and received on Sat 13/1/07
I remember telling him after his MHCH test on the 13/1/07 that he got through.

They had 509 applicants last year. My son found the Maths hard but do-able and English and VR was so-so.

He was offered a place and his written tests results were presented by the school as
English: in the top 9%
Maths: in the top 3%
IQ : in the top 4.9%

Papers are marked already before interviews. I will try and find some notes about his interviews. Sorry,pochu, don't know if boys who don't get through to interview get notified at same time. I should think they do.
pochu

Post by pochu »

Thank you very much lion63 for the info. I am waiting now for the postman to arrive, as I heard that letters got sent out yesterday. I would appreciate any interview tips too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now