Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:32 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm
Posts: 17
I wonder if you can help me.

We found out this morning that our son has been fortunate enough to be offered a place at a sought after independent school. He has also sat the 11plus and although there are 3 grammar schools in our area, there is only one that we believe suits him. We do live 'in area' but unfortunatley we are on the outskirts and are not likly to get a place in the first round (perhaps on appeal). Hence the Over subscribed Independent school exam.
On offering us the place the Independent school have asked of a deposit of £700 and told us that we must accept our place by next week or his place will be given to someone on the waiting list.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved as £700 is a considerable amount of money to lose should we get our first choice!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 827
Location: Medway & Kent
This is familiar - I know of at least two independent schools in our area that do this. I can't offer you any inside information just an opinion.
Are you happy with the independent? If so, if it were me I would pay the £700 for the deposit on the independent school. If your child does not get their grammar choice you will get a good school you like.
If your child does get offered the grammar place, you can decide to take it and yes lose your deposit but really when compared to years and years of fees, its a drop in the ocean!
Good luck making your decision. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 505
Location: Warwickshire
This sounds a slightly unethical way of making money! Fortunately, although the schools round here ask us to repond as soon as possible - so they can offer places elsewhere - they give a date after 3 March as the final date.

I would be tempted to call the school and explain the situation. The only thing you can lose is a little pride if they say no - when you will have to decided whether to cough up £700 speculatively.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm
Posts: 17
Good advice, thanks. It also happens to be my husbands opinion!

I think the problem for me is that I know that it is the sensible thing to do but it somehow it makes me feel like I am accepting that are very unlikely to get the grammar school that we want and I don't feel ready to face that reality yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: same position
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:28 am
Posts: 18
Hi
We are in the same position, but we told our school and they were fine and said to call them on 3rd March. Give it a go


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Applying for independent
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 69
I would definitely call the independent school. They know the systems that are in operation and most will be flexible if they are in a grammar cachment area.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Applying for independent
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 69
I would definitely call the independent school. They know the systems that are in operation and most will be flexible if they are in a grammar catchment area.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:35 pm 
I would agree that paying it is the only option, if they won't wait until the 11+ results come out (a lot of schools are willing to wait if they are in a grammar school area). You may lose the £700 if he doesn't need the place, but that is nothing compared to 7 years of school fees. It would be much worse to end up with no acceptable school place for him in September. :cry:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:03 pm
Posts: 26
I concur with 'medwaymum' and 'KES Parent'.

We are in the same boat as 'thewaiting isagony' with our Dd. She wants to go to HBS. The independents want us to respond my 3rd March; we are unlikely to get the letter fom the council until 4th March.

The independents' offers come on 22nd February - so rather than jeopardising her career, we shall wait for the offer letters to come before calling the school and discussing her case. Worst case is we'll pay the deposit - hope that she gets HBS - and forego the drop in the ocean deposit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: thewaitingisagony
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 2086
Location: Barnet, Herts
Hi. Is HBS Henrietta Barnett? I thought that the independent schools let you get state results first. We are waiting an independent result on 22nd Feb but don't have to let them know until 7th March by which time we will have state results. Where are you and which cshools are involved? Seems really unfair to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016