Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Waiting list
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:53 pm 

Hi,

My daughter has been put on a waiting list in one of the indep schools. The school is not willing to disclose what no. on the list she is. Has anyone been on a similar situation before and what r her chances.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:01 pm 

No experience I am afraid but I heard on the grapevive about one independent school local to me which is likely to offer all those on the waiting list a place. You may be choosing to not name the school, but someone may have more specific information if you feel able to name the school or area.

Post subject: Re: Waiting list
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:17 pm 
Robmax wrote:
Hi,

My daughter has been put on a waiting list in one of the indep schools. The school is not willing to disclose what no. on the list she is. Has anyone been on a similar situation before and what r her chances.

Thanks.

I think if they can't even be straightforward with you at this stage of the game, when presumably they may soon be trying to entice you as a paying customer, I would be very worried about what their attitude to parents is generally. Do you have an alternative school you could send your daughter to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 pm 
I would have thought it would depend on what alternative schools there are in the neighbourhood. We have free grammar schools in Birmingham so there is a fair degree of shifting when the state results come out. Of the 6 of my students to win a place at our local independent, only 2 definitely intend to take up the place, the others hoping for a free grammar school place.

Post subject: waiting list
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 pm 

Generally I would say her chances are quite good. Many of the independent and public schools have waiting lists. They know that once state grammar places are out they often do not have the take up of offers. It basically boils down to what parents can financially afford - in many cases the private option is the safety net.

Post subject: Re: waiting list
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:03 am 

1401 wrote:
in many cases the private option is the safety net.

Indeed. There may be significant movement once the 3rd March (and say 2 or 3 weeks) has passed.

Regards
SVE