Here comes the 22nd

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
foldgate

Post by foldgate »

Our daughter also goes to a state primary.

We visited HBS but didn't like it at all on the open day. She did apply there but didn't get beyond the first round of exams. The one other child in her year who has been applying for selective schools applied to Latymer but didn't get in. He's just heard that he's got 100% bursary to Highgate, and I am sure it will be brilliant for him.

Thank you, beenherebeforebutnoeasier, for your post about City. I can see that the girls are very happy there, but I also hear what you say about time for reading and reflection, occasional exhaustion etc. It is the slightly less pressurized feel of Channing that attracts us.

If you look at the results, Channing still has 81% getting A/A* at GCSE and 93% getting A/B at A level, which means there's ample opportunity for academic success. This compares with 96% A/A* GCSE and 94% A/B at A level at City. ie hardly any difference at A level, but less pressure at GCSE for those at Channing. The advantage, as we see it, is that our daughter won't feel a failure if she gets a B in one or two GCSEs
beenherebeforebutnoeasier

Post by beenherebeforebutnoeasier »

Have now spoken with a few girls and parents at both SH and Channing - all so positive really, that it isn't making life clearer! I know exactly what you mean about the persistent rumours about SH - they were around when we went through this first time and I think were founded in the old grading system and a couple of possibly less successful heads. I can not find anything at all to substantiate them now - from sixth formers to current year 8's so far. So not sure how much credence to give them. I do think the creative writing is much superior to City - and the book clubs/liberal approach to reading - which is much more a mainstream part of the school is clearly excellent. My elder dd shines at this but has had very little opportunity to see her work in print at all at City - the younger one is similar so would like it. Also impressed by art at SH. and the choirs. And I can tell you that SH have poached a couple of excellent teachers from City in the last couple of years!
Channing clearly very happy place but I know what was meant by herewegoagain on the question 'would you outgrow it?' As elder dd gets bigger can see what she is reaping from sophisticated school - and not yet quite as convinced that is so at Ch. a friend with one girl there, and one at another girls school finds Ch very protective by comparison and is less sure about whether her girl is ready for outside life. On the other hand the very small classes are very supportive.

Re state options - we've tried for Owen's again (not very optimistic and also have reservations about huge distance (see below) and focus on languages rather than creativity which isn't sadly us - you have to do 2 language GCSE's which is a tad prescriptive); neither girl would sit for HBS so we didn't push it and we didn't look at Latymer as too far, co-ed and didn't think she's get it anyway. We did go for music place first time at Camden but didn't get it - which I've always been really sad about as I love Camden. elder dd still has very close friendship group from primary school, mainly a mix of Owens and Camden -they are all going to do as well in the end academically I'm sure - the big difference I see is that a) their parents are considerably less pressed financially!!, b) dd has done loads more extra curricular stuff than the selective state girls and has many more opportunities because the school is nearer, full of enthusiasm and much smaller and c) like the Owens cohort dd is much further on in course work in subjects like Latin than her Camden contemp.(and has second modern language.) However as neither will carry on Latin to GCSE one can ask does that matter -on the other hand she has had the experience and education! - if she remembers any of it!! They are all lovely girls and very articulate and unspoilt, as are her pals at City - it's quite encouraging really!
What about you? Is elder sibling a girl?
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

beentherebeforebutnoeasier - have sent you pm.
beenherebeforebutnoeasier

Post by beenherebeforebutnoeasier »

herewegoagain - have sent you a pm but not convinced it went - can you let me know you got it!!
herewegoagain

Post by herewegoagain »

beenherebeforebutnoeasier - no it's not arrived!
vas

Here comes 22nd

Post by vas »

My hearty congratulations to Zorro and all others. I am still celebrating, but can put my head down and really work after a long period of distraction!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now