Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

londonparent

Post by londonparent »

do you know whether the last date is tomorrow or on 4th
also are there particular reasons you did not choose channing
mm3

Post by mm3 »

The main reason is distance. The time and stress saved by having an easy journey to school will, I hope, balance things out.

My elder daughter travels a long way to school, and in her case it is very worth while as it is a great school and she loves it, but she remains tired, and the social life is never easy. Obviously as time has gone on the journey has become easier, and she wouldn't have changed her education for the world.

In this case Channing didn't seem worth the journey. It is very nice indeed, but I think that our daughter will get more out of everything without the extra journey time. I hasten to add that I would probably have chosen the other way round with my older child - it is the experience of several years of a child who's school is far away - and who's friends are generally even further away that has swayed this.

As for the date thing, our letter says Monday 4th - so I am hedging my bets and delivering the deposit on Monday 3rd.

Have you decided ?
londonparent

Post by londonparent »

we kind of feel in a similar position as clarence gate is half a mile away whilst channing is about 20 min drive
we get a distincty feeling that channing will suit her more, even though francis holland is very good, especially at A levels
have you tuned down channing and s hampstead already - I know afriend who is on the waitlist of SH who has still not been called and is just wondering whether she might be
yes monday 4th sounds strange
mm3

Post by mm3 »

South Hampstead was not for us. Neither of my children liked it at all.

I'm afraid the deciding came down to small practicalities - there seemed so little to choose between the schools, my daughter liked the middle sized schools, and she can walk to school if she goes to FHS. It came after a week of very late nights and early starts for my elder daughter, with a lot of associated public transport stress. She has coped with this admirably, but we suddenly realised that there was really no need for it. The thought of another seven years of fighting just to get to school, when we have a very good option on our door step suddenly seemd foolish.

FHS looks to be a busy school, providing a lot for its girls - far more than you would think for a school of its size. It is easy to dismiss something because it is too close - but I think for us it is going to work.

I have to add, this has not been a clear cut decision - this is just the deciding factor. Thank goodness for deadlines. We could have gone on for ever.

Do let me know what you decide.

mm3
picasso

Post by picasso »

We had offers at both South Hampstead high and Channing and turned down both. Personally I liked SSH but DD did not- took a distinct dislike to the school. She certainly wasn't impressed when she went for interview and said she woudn't go even if they offered her a place.

We were not too keen on Channing, although their results are good there was just something about the school that we didn't like. Traffic around the school especially in the afternoon is awful. Also for my dd getting to and from school would have been a nightmare but applied anyway as wanted to keep our options open.

We too have chosen FHS (CG) due to its proximity and as has already been said seems to offer quite a lot. I like the fact that it looks after the girls as a whole and not just the academic side of things which it has to be said also does very well at. I know of a couple of girls that have gone to FHS and their parents speak very highly of the school especially if you are good at music and art. One of the things that I remember the headmistress saying at the open days in the autumn was that they wouldn't forget about the girls once they were in the school and that the headmistress knows each and every girl.

Having said this we also struggled with our decision. It is not easy to choose as most of the independent schools are good.
mm3

Post by mm3 »

I am glad. It is interesting that we have come to the same conclusion. Will you change your mind once State schools come out today ?

I am hoping that Francis Holland will be good for her, and am very pleased to have finally settled on something. It is also very good for DD to finally have the decision made : immediately she felt more settled, and is now looking forward to it enormously.

No more discussions about the finer niceties of whose Art department is better, whether you start Latin n Year 7 or 8, or how subjects are streamed. No more trying to discern from every facial expression which school she preferred. Thank goodness.
picasso

Post by picasso »

Hi mm3,

We tried for Henrietta Barnett and St Michaels Catholic Grammar, got St Michaels. We will still send her to Francis Holland. St Michaels is miles away and my DD would have to travel over an hour every day just to get to school and another hour or more to get back.

My DD is also looking forward to attending Francis Holland. Like you I also hope that we have made the right choice....I'm sure we have. Now there's only the fees to worry about!
mm3

Post by mm3 »

Am so relieved to be settled that I have put the fees to the back of my mind - for a few weeks anyway!