Independent school waiting list - not what I thought it was

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nailbiter

Post by nailbiter »

from what i can understand forest do hugely over offer....... they are seen as a reserve choice for many trying for super selective / very competitive schools. we turned down an offer the same day we received it as did a number of others we know...... i asked at interview how many offers were made and although i cant remember the exact number it was much higher than you might expect. fingers crossed for you though. do you have other options?
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

muffinmonster,
Don't give up hope.I know for a fact that my nephew and a girl in his class are both turning down Forest because they got their first choice grammar schools.And I'm sure that they will not be the only ones.There should be alot of movement in the next 2 weeks.So fingers crossed.
muffinmonster

Thank you, everybody

Post by muffinmonster »

Your replies have been very illuminating and helpful. Friday and yesterday were dreadful but I am feeling a bit more rational today and, following beenherebeforebutnoeasier's suggestion, I am going to draft a letter tonight explaining why we love Forest and why they should love our DD. Meanwhile, DD's obvious delight at the prospect of going to the state school with her friends is helping to reconcile me to the situation. Frankly, if forest were to come through with an offer now I don't relish the prospect of having to tell her! Thanks again all for your comfort and advice.
hopeforthebest

waiting lists - message for muffinmonster

Post by hopeforthebest »

xx
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muffinmonster

No news - nor likely to be

Post by muffinmonster »

Thanks for asking. The school (it's Forest School, Snaresbrook, London E17) wrote to us once their deadline for acceptances had passed, saying that it is now very unlikely that a place will become available, but we should confirm whether we want to stay on the waiting list. We wrote a letter saying yes, and why we like the school so much and think it would suit DD. Now that the Easter holiday have started, I don't expect any movement as anyone who gives up their place during the summer term would be liable for a term's fees as well as their deposit (£750, I think). I have found myself rather ignobly hoping that somebody somewhere will decide that with the current economic doom and gloom they can't afford the fees after all - and free up a place for us. However, I don't even know where DD is on the list or how long it is.

So we are proceeding as if Forest is all forgotten about. (Though I'm ashamed to admit I think about it constantly; if they did offer a place, I'd be round there like a shot with my chequebook!)