Boarding School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Was boarding school a positive experience?

Yes, best days of my life
47%
Hated it, worst days of my life
33%
Didn't enjoy it but looking back it's helped me in adult life
20%

Total votes: 15

tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Bexley Mum does have a point, my posts are controversial - I know that - but why are they controversial is probably another post?!

Thanks for sticking up for me though Zorro.

All info is appreciated. My reason for sending my son to boarding school was firstly because they offered the larger scholarships (which we needed), we didn't want to move but needed a particular school, and we had tried state, private and home-ed but our son was always so bored. I do think many kids who are sent off to school without any say in the matter often feel rejected, but my son wanted to go. It's only been three terms but already he is more loving, kind and content. In saying that, my other son has a totally different personality and I'm not sure its for him. I must also add that I think even up to 10 years ago boarding places were very different - sending your child away for a whole term without seeing them. I can have my son home at the weekend, and see him at matches on Wednesday. In fact per hour I see him more now than if he were at state school i.e. 9 weeks in summer, 4 weeks easter and christmas, 2 week half terms, and 6 4 day weekends per year.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I agree gloucestermum but not everyone is as lucky as us , some people have no choice. My father went to a boarding school and really enjoyed it as he was an only child and had been told that his parents only married because he was on the way - imagine this was 70 yrs ago! He was looked after and had other boys as company.
I think 11 and 13 are not too young really, if they were primary school age that would be a different scenario.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Just remembered another couple of stories from my BIL-
Bullied because he didn't have leather soled shoes like other boys
Incidents with the "fagging system"-polishing the older boys shoes and no food left for the younger boys when they had finished.School denied the "fagging" system existed!!!

Sounds like a different world to me :shock:
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I know quite a few people who had miserable times at Harrow and have refused to send their sons there. I went to see it and I did think many of the boys seemed very arrogant, but I'm sure there are lovely boys there too.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Gloucestermum -sounds like Tom Brown's Schooldays which co-incidentally was filmed at my son's new school.
The boarders there seemed really happy with Playstations, leather sofas , widescreen TVs etc. But it is a minor public school which has a Christian ethos , not Eton,Harrow etc.
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

zorro wrote:Gloucestermum -sounds like Tom Brown's Schooldays which co-incidentally was filmed at my son's new school.
The boarders there seemed really happy with Playstations, leather sofas , widescreen TVs etc. But it is a minor public school which has a Christian ethos , not Eton,Harrow etc.
What would you class as a minor public school. Is it defined by notoriety or fees. I have noticed most boarding schools have similar fees.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

There you go, our survey says.

Didn't enjoy it but looking back it's helped me in adult life 100% .

Only one vote so far, not many boarders in tonight. :shock:

A valid poll but insignificant given that this is elevenplusexams.co.uk? :?

A poll on the validity or stress of elevenplus exams might be more central? :wink:

stevew61
nailbiter

Post by nailbiter »

am bemusedby your thread tipsy, from your posts it seems you have decided to choose boarding for both your boys.... presumably because it's what you want for them / believe will suit them.... so why would the opinions of strangers matter to decisions you have already made?

:?
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

stevew61 wrote:There you go, our survey says.

Didn't enjoy it but looking back it's helped me in adult life 100% .

Only one vote so far, not many boarders in tonight. :shock:

A valid poll but insignificant given that this is elevenplusexams.co.uk? :?

A poll on the validity or stress of elevenplus exams might be more central? :wink:

stevew61
I apologise that it wasn't significant for you. I must remember to only post on subjects that are valid to others and not me!!! :?
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

nailbiter wrote:am bemusedby your thread tipsy, from your posts it seems you have decided to choose boarding for both your boys.... presumably because it's what you want for them / believe will suit them.... so why would the opinions of strangers matter to decisions you have already made?

:?
I'm intrigued and as I mentioned I'm not sure if its right for my other son. Anyway isn't getting advice from strangers what everyone does on these forums? :)