Boarding School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Was boarding school a positive experience?

Yes, best days of my life
47%
Hated it, worst days of my life
33%
Didn't enjoy it but looking back it's helped me in adult life
20%

Total votes: 15

Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Ed's mum - I can see it now. You'll go and pick your son up from school and end up taking hoards of homesick boarders back home with you for tea!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I hope not!! My house isn't big enough or nice enough!
ergo

Post by ergo »

my experience of boarding school was over twenty years ago but I was very happy there. I was fortunate to make some fantastic friends and yes, I do still have a good relationship with my parents. My husband and I have both experienced boarding school as a positive one but have decided to go down the grammar route for our children. Although our decision is primarily a financial one, I would not have a problem sending one or all of our children to board if they wished to. Our children have different personalities and I doubt whether our eldest would ever want to go but the middle one would. If you choose your school wisely (as you would hope to do in any situation) your child should be very happy. There will be times when they will miss home but the good times usually outweigh the difficult ones, good luck with your decision making.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:Ed's mum - I can see it now. You'll go and pick your son up from school and end up taking hoards of homesick boarders back home with you for tea!
Spot on. There was a queue of friends who came on Exeat for the weekend.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Thanks for all the advise - both negative and positive on the boarding school front. :)
I would say that I am a lttle disappointed that some members seem to think this site is ony for those who send their kids to 11+ day schools. The vast majority of girls boarding schools start at 11 and many of the co-ed and boys ones too. I have at present opted for boarding school or my 11 year old but this is not set in stone as he won't move on until 13. My 8 year old is not yet at boarding school and we have not yet made a firm decision as he is very different. Personally, if people don't like my posts then why bother replying to them in such a non-constructive way! :?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Ed's mum - I think you'll find that any kids worth your son knowing won't mind how big or nice your house is - but I get the impression they will be made welcome and that's all that will matter.
nailbiter

Post by nailbiter »

am confused still tipsy.....

As you may know, my son is at boarding school and I'm due to send my other.

in the other thread you started re eton vs winchester you were trying to decide where to send eldest ds?? is he boarding already at some other school?? how old is he??

confused :?
nailbiter

Post by nailbiter »

i am struggling to take your posts at face value.
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

nailbiter wrote:am confused still tipsy.....

As you may know, my son is at boarding school and I'm due to send my other.

in the other thread you started re eton vs winchester you were trying to decide where to send eldest ds?? is he boarding already at some other school?? how old is he??

confused :?
I've just told you how old they are above :? and the decison for E or W has to be made two years before he starts, and why are you asking if he's at boarding school when I said he was in the previous post :? :? :?
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

"laydeeez. really. play nicely"

maybe you need to take some of your own advice nailbiter!