KES Birmingham switches to IB

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

The IB is a fantastic qualification, but sadly probably only appropriate for bright children. (One headmaster I spoke to said that his school would not switch because the intake was of too wide an ability range.) I used it as a criterion in my schools search. Medical schools and Oxbridge will accept candidates with it, as for engineers I believe that Imperial College prefers it. One headmaster I spoke to made the point that there there is no continuous assessment (but there is one demanding piece of independant research) there is more teaching time, particularly in the lower sixth, allowing more education as opposed to exam cramming.
I took the exam myself - very long time ago, when hardly anyone had heard of it.
P's mum
another mother

Post by another mother »

the IB is a fantastic qualification for the very bright all rounder who wants to keep all options open. For the very strongly arts/humanties biased child or top scientist it can be a real disadvantage, both not to go to the depth that good A level teaching takes you and whilst having to continue with subjects that aren't your strengths. It may have no course work but an extremely able girl we knew who took it three years ago and ended up at Oxford, had to take a day at home every week to keep up with the workload in the second year. Which did knock into other extra curricular actitivies. Schools with sixth forms below c 100 seem very reluctant to offer both A levels and IB simultaneously - though that would be the ideal - because you don't end up with enough critical mass in either stream. The most attractive bit seems the critical thinking areas - does anyone know how much of that will be in the pre-U and are independent schools likely to move to that?
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

At present I think only a small number of Independent schools are opting for the Pre-U - Westminster, Winchester, Eton, Rugby (I think), and I believe around 20 others but not sure who. There are some articles online if you google it.
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

Sorry perhaps I made a slight mistake in my previous posting I should have said not modular rather than no course work, i.e. no exams in lower sixth. yes it does involve more work thatn A levels.
P's mum
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

As such a prestigious school as KES is about to change to IB, has anybody any idea if the other KE schools are likely to follow?
mm2

Post by mm2 »

hi
Kegs Mom3 wrote
As such a prestigious school as KES is about to change to IB, has anybody any idea if the other KE schools are likely to follow?
All I can say is that when we went around to look at King Edwards Camphill and KES before making final choice, this question was asked of the Headmaster at camphill and he said that if exams went down the vocational diploma route they would not hesitate to switch to IB.
Wether this still would be the case in future I don't know.
KenR

Post by KenR »

With the exception of KEHS (Girls), the other KE grammars are public sector funded so wouldn't be allowed to switch to IB (or even IGCSE for that matter) as it's not in the National Curriculum.

KEHS is offering IB as an option starting in Sep't 2008 but only as a supplement option to A levels. (my daughter is in year 11 doing GCSEs at the school).

My personal view on IB is mixed; I certainly don't think it's anything like perfect and actually has some serious weaknesses, particularly for scientists/mathematicians as it doesn't cover the depth. The study of a language right through the sixth form might also be a problem for some candidates that aren't that way inclinded.

As an aside, I think if KEHS had followed the samne path as KES then we would definitely have moved my daughter after year 11.

Regards

Ken
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

KenR wrote:With the exception of KEHS (Girls), the other KE grammars are public sector funded so wouldn't be allowed to switch to IB (or even IGCSE for that matter) as it's not in the National Curriculum.

KEHS is offering IB as an option starting in Sep't 2008 but only as a supplement option to A levels. (my daughter is in year 11 doing GCSEs at the school).

As an aside, I think if KEHS had followed the samne path as KES then we would definitely have moved my daughter after year 11.

Regards

Ken
Sounds like there will be a bit of switching in both directions, as we considered moving our son because IB wasn't available to him at KES. As academic issues don't rate top of his priority list he refused to move, so we have to go on paying for A level study which we believe is well past its sell by date thanks to governmental meddling. It was a fantastic exam until say 10 or 11 years ago.

By the way, Ken, I am sure that there are some state schools doing IB, so it must be possible.
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Thanks to everyone for your swift replies and knowledge, very much appreciated! :lol:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi KES Parent

I think if State Schools are doing IB it will be the supplemental version similar KEHS.

It's interesting that my cousin's daughter is currently in her final year of IB in Belgium, but because of the lack of course work or formal 1st year results in IB, she struggled in terms of University Entrance due to a lack of a benchmark. She eventually got an offer from York but some Universities wouldn't even consider her application. I guess this may be to some degree because International Schools abroad aren't geared towards UK Univeristy applications.

Regards

Ken
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now