This is becoming uncomfortable.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

Just joined :) and been reading these posts :( If you ask questions on this independent section are you going to get abuse because you send your kid to an independent school? I only found this site because I googled some information on a particular school that I want to send my kid to, and I thought "great - some advice". I don't think I'll bother asking that specific question now but I thought this section was for those who sent their kids to independent school? :?
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes it is about independent schools, and please ask your question whatever it is. You may be lucky to find that someone viewing the independent schools area has some experience of the particular school you are asking about, or the issue you are raising. The purpose of the independent schools is to share such information. You could also try posting your question in the relevant area forum also - scroll down to see the full list of areas covered. That way someone who lives in the area and has some info may see your post who might otherwise not see it in the independent schools area.

You may also receive some unnecessary responses from people who don't think that anyone should ever use an independent school, whatever the circumstances. But does that matter? It is their freely given opinion, and helps to keep your thread "live" and at the top of the list!!

And if your thread is locked for some spurious reason, do not worry, as you can always start another!

Good luck.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

monstermunch, you have just joined and immediately disliked the flavour of the section: you are taking everything at face value and do not know the true depth of feeling that went on with the posters in this saga but your comment is...superfluous as you have asked a question on Westminster School and left a comment on Boarding schools..
monstermunch wrote:Just joined :) and been reading these posts :( If you ask questions on this independent section are you going to get abuse because you send your kid to an independent school? I only found this site because I googled some information on a particular school that I want to send my kid to, and I thought "great - some advice". I don't think I'll bother asking that specific question now but I thought this section was for those who sent their kids to independent school? :?

Dear A11,

This particular thread started with a request for a11 to stay calm and post responsibly.

It was not directed at anyone specifica11y but now it's becoming another uncomfortable thread.

The fact of the matter is that most people read most things that come up on the forum, whether it is related to them or not, just like we read the newspapers, just to know what goes on in the big wide world or in our case, the 11+ world and beyond.. I read everything but then, I am an oddba11.

You are here primarily to enrich your knowledge or ask for/share a view if you so wish.How you do that might endear yourself to the nation or rattle someone's cage.

It is a fair statement to say that you do not have to read anything that does not pertain to you but in reality, you do read it anyway because it broadens your knowledge base.

It is just common courtesy to post politely even if you are in disagreement. You do not need fancy language be polite.Retorts and off handed comments just inflame a 'situation' and this gets worse as the receiver gets upset and the vicious cycle continues..

Maybe the best rule would be to read your post many times before you submit it and ask yourself if it is rea11y going to be helpful to anyone particular the person who asked for a view/opinion.

Even if it is a negative view, you have to present it civi11y and calmly.
We are heading for a mini melt-down here with wounded egos,miffed feelings,perceived rights and wrongs,character a55a55inations...OK Ok, I am exaggerating but you see where I am going here...

If you need to let off steam or feel the need to cut, thrust and parry,
you can always go to REHAB.

Let the real work of the main forum proceed in as unhindered a manner as po55ible..
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

[quote="Laid back son worried mum"]but your comment is...superfluous as you have asked a question on Westminster School and left a comment on Boarding schools..

actually I have not asked the question I was wanting to ask. I chose to ask a different one.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes I assumed you had another question you had chosen not to ask. It was a little hasty of LBSWM to describe your comment as "superfluous". But then again, in a widespread search for the information you need does it matter if you make a superfluous comment, or if LBSWM jumps incorrectly to the wrong conclusion. It is all just words after all.

Please ask your question if it still matters to you. You don't know the people on this website, and they don't know you. Granted, some can be annoying at times, as in real life, but that's only as bad as it can get. And I'm sure we can all be unwittingly annoying at times in this medium.

yes, I did think that was a po55ibilty that you have not asked the question but have asked a question (or two).

Now you have tested the waters, you might like to start a new thread on the question.

Good luck with the responses.
momstermunch wrote:actually I have not asked the question I was wanting to ask. I chose to ask a different one.
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

:oops: rewind - I don't think I've made a good first impression :lol:
chad

Post by chad »

Hi monstermunch,

Welcome to the forum...... I am a moderator on the site and became involved when the site was in its early days.... unfortunately there was not as much info when my son took the 11+ in 2005.

You have had the misfortune of posting on a thread dealing with a slightly contentious issue.

Please feel free to post your questions on the Independant Forum and the community as a whole will try to answer as best they can.

There has never before been any hint of segregation between independant/grammar on the forum and I would hope that the community spirit will carry on. A decision to lock a post is not done lightly and is after much discussion.

I have been monitoring the recent posts with interest and on a personal note believe that some were extremely contentious and bordering on rude.
Many people have the choice between independant and grammer and will make their decision based on the information they receive on particular schools and, the most important bit, what is the best for their child.

So.... start a new thread for the question you want to ask.... and hopefully someone will be 'in the know' and can give a constructive opinion.

:)
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

Thanks Chad. I'm browsing at present and finding it very interesting! :)