Added Extra's

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monstermunch

Added Extra's

Post by monstermunch »

Just looked at the school fees bill :shock: My son and the school has managed to include an extra £700 of "added extras". What really p****es me off though is the fact that he gets charged for every stamp he uses when he has to write a letter home - the letter writing is compulsory. I'd be less annoyed if the fees were slightly higher and included everything except individual tuition! :x

Does anyone else has this problem, or annoyance with their school? Whats the worst added extra you've been charged for?
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

It seems really surprising that they are not encouraged to use email
melinda

Post by melinda »

Seems a bit odd to me that letter writing is compulsory. Do they read the letters to check what is written as well?? Puts a lot of pressure on kids with no aptitude for letter writing - they all tend to use email at home these days.
I guess you give him a load of stamps to take with him to school - tho that still means you pay so doesn't really solve anything!! BUT it might make you feel better about it all.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I think it's lovely for the parents to receive hand-written letters even though it's out of fashion. My mum still has a couple of mine from when I went away to school nearly 30 years ago! I do agree with all the hidden extras though, especially if you are already working to a tight budget.
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

There is nothing more special than receiving a hand-written letter from your child. Generally they are so hilarious, innocent, and full of child-like self-centredness (is that a word!). I often receive typed letters from frends and the level of English, grammar, and general letter layout (and I can include myself in this) is appalling. I think when children are at boarding school they should have a set time each week to write to parents and not a brief half-hearted five minutes to send an email (although they too are much appreciated). I don't know about other schools but my sons letter is not vitoed by staff and he is free to write as little or as much as he wants in his usual illegible hand-writing. There are times when writing a letter is necessary and I applaud the school for encouraging and teaching children to do this on a regular basis. :D
zorro

Post by zorro »

I agree Monstermunch there is nothing more special than a hand written letter from your child. When my DS went on a residential school trip in Yr 5 they had to write to us. The feeling of relief when they say they are having a great time is amazing. Actually brought a tear to my eye!
Well done to your DS's school for fostering this skill which thanks to email is in danger of dying out!
Which boarding school does your DS attend?
My son is due to start at Aldenham which has some boarders but as we are only half an hour away is going as a Day pupil.
Mind you the extras bill is a bit alarming but not uncommon I think.My DD's friend goes to Queenswood as a day pupil and at the end of her first term just before Christmas they got a bill for £990!!
Is it mainly School trips and music lessons that make this up?
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

Just had a thought - scary :) Maybe its something to do with tax or finances why things should be itemised :?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

worst added extra - - exam fee for a new ICT coursework based qualification that the school (independent girls' secondary) decided to put all Year 10s through. They all failed, they blamed the new course, and said they would never try it again.
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

perplexed wrote:worst added extra - - exam fee for a new ICT coursework based qualification that the school (independent girls' secondary) decided to put all Year 10s through. They all failed, they blamed the new course, and said they would never try it again.

:evil: Don't get me started on exam fees. I think the government should pay all exam fees regardless of what school they are at, except for qualifications which aren't backed by the government. My friend had no idea that she had to pay for exam sittings and got quite a shock after her daughter sat 11 GCSE's! :x
zorro

Post by zorro »

Ohmigod! you have to pay the exam fees as well?Why are we paying £15,000 per annum and still have to cough up for exam fees?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now