67%
Bad Idea
33%

Total votes: 6

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monstermunch

Pros/Cons Single Sex going Co-ed in Sixth Form

Post by monstermunch »

Two of the schools I'm looking at admit girls in the sixth form. I have mixed views about this. How sensible is it to introduce girls into a boys school at the most crucial time in their education? Some say the girls make the boys more competitive and the boys work harder because they don't want the girls to beat them academically. Some say the boys become distracted, focusing on the girls and acting stupid in order to look cool. Any thoughts?
monstermunch

Post by monstermunch »

If you vote, would you mind letting me know why you think its a good/bad idea, thanks. :D
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry I have not voted, but I think my answer is it probably does not matter either way.

My thinking is that by the time your sons reach the sixth form, they will be used to seeing girls wandering round the school so their presence in lessons will not be so "alien and alluring" as a move from a single sex to a co-ed school might be.

If the school is a good one, the teaching methods and discipline should work well for both the boys and the girls so the quality of lessons should theoretically remain unaffected.

Your sons could be distracted from work by having a girlfriend taking up their time and daydreams, but this could happen whether the sixth form was co-ed or not.

My personal feeling is that the presence of a girlfriend / boyfriend in lessons would probably make a conscientious pupil work harder.

The downside could be having to see an "ex" in lessons every day if this upset you. If there are far more boys than girls, presumably your chances of moving on to find another girlfriend at the school are pretty low!!

The other downside is that it may be a particular type of school that chooses to go into a sixth form where girls are very much in the minority .... meaning they may the more distracting type!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now