latymer upper school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hopeforthebest

latymer upper school

Post by hopeforthebest »

s.
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Congratulations! :D

My friend has a son in the lower school and he was in a single-sex school before that. Latymer is definitely not a Hot-Housing environment and the school is more relaxed since the introduction of girls. I wrote on a very early post that my hubby sees many work experience kids from habs, mts and latymer, and he has always been very complementary of the latymer kids. Within London we are surrounded by parents and schools who only focus on academics to the exclusion of everything else, but Latymer, I feel, is an oasis in within London. I'm sure your daughter will be very happy and I wish her the best of luck. :)
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

xx
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clancy

Post by clancy »

My daughter joined Latymer Upper last year I have no regrets. It's a fantastic school. She joined with some boys from her primary school and has met lots of lovely girls from her year. In fact all the children are great, there seems to be no bullying, although the teachers often discusses this in tutorial so the early signs can be picked up by the children. Academically she has done well, better than I expected. Sometimes the homework is gratuitous but this provides relief as the pace of some subjects, particularly maths is fast. There is competition within the school, the auditions for the plays are tough it is hard to get parts, for children who have been used to high achieving across the board at their previous school it may be hard for them to accept rejection. Co ed is definately better. I went to an all girls grammar and our ideas about boys were very lacking. My daughter understands the difference between boys and this can only be to her advantage. Good luck, enjoy the lower school play.
hopeforthebest

Latymer Upper

Post by hopeforthebest »

xx
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clancy

Post by clancy »

Hi there. She did nomiate a boy and is in his class, she just wanted a familar face. She often travel with a girl who lives nearby, but it's all very fluid. They all end up knowing which tube each of them takes and sometime wait for each other. There are lots travelling out on our line to Kew, Richmond and beyond some take a bus afterwards, they seem to be spread out in all classes. I think that as long as there are a few in each the school thinks that's ok. The children come from all over, but I think you become better friends with the ones you travel with.
Yes there are some genuises, quite a few in each class. The maths and French are setted from year 8 so it will be better. Some children are bilingual so sit at the back writing essays in French working towards GCSE, while the rest of the class starts at the beginning, but this doesn't stop you getting an A as it's all relative.
My daughter likes drama and singing. She goes to LAMDA classes but says that the lunchtime drama isn't up to much, infact photography club was the best. She does no sport but that's good for this term as the lower school drama production is taking up most evenings till 6 and 2 weekends till middle of May, it's a big commitment.
Parents evening was interesting, some teachers realy know your child, others who have less hours in the week don't really know. I liked her form tutor. The written report was good, you do feel as though they thought about what they were saying and they are very encouraging.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now