Entrance exam preperation

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
coolmum123

Entrance exam preperation

Post by coolmum123 »

Hello all,

I am a new poster but have been lurking on this forum for a while. I am so glad that I came across this website as there is such a wealth of experience and knowledge with regards to schools etc!!

My DS is in year 5 and will be sitting exams in Jan 09 currently I am helping him with his work towards this and I have a question about past papers from schools. What I mean is I can only get hold of a limited supply so once he has done these (some time in the summer holidays onwards) do we keep redoing them or is it advisable just to do them once? I have got some NFER papers but now I'm not sure whether they are suitable for sitting exams for schools such as Habs and Merchant Taylors. Can anyone advise or divulge their strategy? Also in regards to the school papers - do they also supply answers?!!

Thanks and Regards
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I only use past papers initially to work out what my kids don't know, then I teach them what they need to know and about 2 - 3 weeks before the exam they do a paper every night. I like the bond assessments for working out what they know and the NFER for the pratice tests up until the exam. :)
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Tipsy - a paper every night?!!!!!!!!!! Surely not?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well personally I won't pay for two years of tutoring a small child when they can spend 30 minutes on one paper each night for up to 3 weeks. I know what one sounds more cruel to me!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I didn't say you were being cruel, I was just querying what you'd said. Personally, I think an hour a week (with a parent or tutor) for a few months leading up to 11+/entrance exams is preferable to 3 weeks of cramming and pressure.
Paps

Post by Paps »

A paper every night as a minimum if you are really serious in gettng into one of the top grammer or independent schools!

We have just been through the process!

Its not only a matter of knowing how to solve problems, it also involves speed and accuracy under pressure. Silly errors will cost you. One silly error will drop you down several places - at least!

You need to be at a point where you are also in a position to carry out a quick "double check"on some of the problems.

Sounds obssesive - but sometimes this is what it takes.
Paps

Post by Paps »

Bexley mum, in my opinion one hour a week will not do it in the Enfield/Brnet area.

We are up against kids who study every night for months on end and are looking at 90% as a minimum across all exams to have any chance.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Clearly it depends on the child, but half an hour a night sounds OK to me, unless it bores them silly and they "peak" too early!

Good luck
Paps

Post by Paps »

Yes it does and if your child is gifted and has achieved leve 5s in year 5 then you have no worries!

In my opinion 30 minutes a night will not do it. Remember that you have to sit two exams in one morning or afternoon - this is 2 hours for a 10-11 year old. Im not sure 30 minutes a night will prepare them for this.

The exam is 60 minutes - for a start you need to condition them for this duration.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi Paps,

At what point in the process would you suggest doing papers every night?
ie from start of summer holidays or September?
Are you familiar with the Habs / Merchant Taylor entry process - as these are the 2 that DS really wants to get into.

Thanks and Regards[/quote]