Non selective Independent Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi Zorro,

Thanks for that I will definetly contact you again around October time as that's also when open days are for the other schools ie Habs, MT and John Lyon.

We are thinking of applying to the above schools and have thrown Aldenham into the mix!

Kind Regards
Coolmum
zorro

Post by zorro »

coolmum123,
No problem.
But please be aware that Habs etc are fiercely super- selective.
I think about 1,000 boys sat the entrance exam when DS took it last Jan.
The majority of these boys attend prep school whereas my DS is at state primary. Obviously I don't know your DS's ability or your circumstances but we had a horrendous time last Jan/ Feb. We were told by his tutor that he would have no problems with Habs as he was bright enough which we agreed with as he is in top 3 for Maths and Literacy.
However he didn't get to the second stage at ST Alban's , Habs or QE Boy's and was very demoralised. The children that get into these schools are worked exceptionally hard and unless your DS loves working (mine has to be bribed or shouted at!) they don't stand a chance.
We groossly under-estimated the high standards of these boys and I'd hate to see anyone else's DS suffer too.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi Zorro,

I have reservations about Habs and QE too, by that I mean I'm not sure whether my DS (if he got a place there) would be happy there. They came across to me as very competitive when we went for a quick visit on their open day.

It's so difficult to know which is the right school isn't it?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi coolmum,
Yes I suppose you have to think about their future if by some miracle thry get in. The constant struggle to keep up and maybe being at the bottom of the pile instead of being at the top.
But I do think when you find the right school you know immediately just like when you are house hunting and find the house for you.
When we went to Aldenham for the interview after the entrance exam I said to DH "this is the school he will be going to, I feel it in my bones!"
So trust your instincts!
tfad

Post by tfad »

Dear Zorro and Lion63

Many thanks for your suggestions. We did have King Alfred on our list and we are going to their Open Day at the end of the month. I will look into Aldenham and John Lyons. I assumed that John Lyons would be quite pressurised but I will certainly consider it after what you have said. Aldenham sounds lovely and it is one of the ones that I was thinking of shortlisting. I haven't heard of the school in Enfield but I will look into that as well.

Many thanks

tfad
zorro

Post by zorro »

tfad,
Aldenham Open Day is tomorrow afternoon if you are interested.
Zorro
tfad

Post by tfad »

Thanks Zorro, we will try and go. I will have a look at their website to see what time it is. Looking back at your post I forgot to say that I live in Hendon.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi Tfad

The Open day at Aldenham is 2.00pm to 4.00pm

Regards
Coolmum
tfad

Post by tfad »

Hi Coolmum 123

I have been to the website and have registered for the next open day (I couldn't register for tomorrow). Can you let me know what you think of the school when you go tomorrow.

Many thanks

Tfad
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Coolmum123,
Did you go to the Aldenham Open Day?
What did you think?
PM me if you prefer.
Thanks,
Zorro
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now