Non selective Independent Schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tfad

Non selective Independent Schools

Post by tfad »

I have a DS of 9 who is in Year 4 (State Primary). He is a little bit of a daydreamer and finds it difficult to concentrate in class. His school has recommended that he needs to be in an environment with smaller class sizes so we are aware that we need to send him to an independent secondary school.

I am finding it difficult to motivate him and keep him focussed on studying for the 11+ (my DD, who is 2 years older started studying around this time). His handwriting is atrocious and his spelling is woeful and I am worried about him sitting selective exams.

He is a bright little boy but he is lazy and I just can't seem to push him. My DD is just about to start at HBS in September but she was much more motivated to practise and work hard - he is totally different which makes me demotivated and I am just finding the whole experience worrying and frustrating.

Can anyone recommend a good independent day school, preferably non selective, or at least with fairly easy entrance exams, in North West London or Hertfordshire? I would be willing to consider boarding schools as a last resort, but I am worried about whether he would do any work there without us being around to push him (not that we are succeeding at the moment!)

Many thanks

tfad
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It sounds to me as if he may have special needs - possibly ADD - attention deficit disorder - it links with dyslexic tendencies and day dreaming.

What his maths like?
tfad

Post by tfad »

Maths is not too bad! He goes to Kumon classes. It is interesting that you should say that he might have ADD. He originally was diagnosed with special needs (retentive memory and retrieval very slightly impaired apparently), but the school insisted that he did not have ADD, nor dyslexia! As he has now been taken off the special needs "register" at school and it was never severe enough for him to be statemented, I don't think that we can go down the special needs route as there is nothing formally on record that we can take from his primary school to secondary school and thats why I didn't mention it in the posting.

Do you have any ideas on what our options could be and any schools that might be appropriate?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi tfad,
Don't know where you live but have a couple of suggestions.
One is ST John's School which is in Enfield and the other is King Alfred's in Hampstead.
Everything else in N. London / Herts is super selective ( Habs , MTS, etc.
If you think he could manage to pass the 11 plus Aldenham where my DS is going in October might also be an option.
Good Luck!
lion63

Post by lion63 »

http://www.aldenham.com/

Small mixed independent school in Hertfordshire.
(compared to Haberdashers Aske's Boys in Herts, Merchant Taylors, Mill Hill)

I have business clients who sent their 3 children there few years ago,2 might have left already, and they were very pleased with the school.They do selective tests but an above average performance in those tests is usually adequate for admission. The feeling is that the school is less pressured than the all-boys independents in the area.

http://www.johnlyon.org/

This school in Harrow Middlesex might also be a suitable choice.
boys who I know go there are settled and working well.
They do selective entrance tests.

http://www.kingalfred.org.uk/
Golders Green, worth a visit. Entrance Tests as well.

The people I know went for these schools when looking for a less pressured environment where they felt that their children would thrive (because of their personalities).
zorro

Post by zorro »

Lion63,
Nice to hear good things about Aldenham!
Mind you , about 150 boys and I don't know how many girls as they sat in the morning , took the test and only 60 places are available. Having said that compared to the huge numbers taking the Habs exams, it's much less pressured.
And I meant DS is starting in Sept not Oct - having a blonde moment!!
lion63

Post by lion63 »

A teacher friend teaches in the preparatory school at Aldenham and her child (very ahead for her age) attends the Aldenham Senior School.

The other independents have huge numbers of boys taking the exams whereas Aldenham has a mixed entry, so chances are better for getting a place, fewer boys vying for a place.

Having said that, the girls these days are highly motivated and getting cleverer and cleverer by the minute!

No one that I know has said anything negative about the school.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I agree about the girls .In my DS's class he was the only boy to get a selective place whereas 2 girls got DAO , one got Latymer and one got the Golden Chalice - Henrietta Barnett!
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi,

on a personal note I'm glad I came across this thread as I don't know anyone who goes to Aldenham and we are due to go to their open day tomorrow!

In relation to the thread, I told my DS that if he worked hard and got a place then we would get him the latest games console that was out in the market at the time and also I have pledged that I would give him a fiver everytime he beat my time on Sudoku puzzles on the Nintendo DS with which he could buy whichever computer game he wanted. Maybe that's not the proer way to go about it but he seems pretty motivated now!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Coolmum123,
Aldenham is a lovely school. I think you will like it unless your son is exceptionally bright in which case one of the super selectives like Haberdashers would probably be better.
We are going there on Weds for a new parents evening - it's a Headmaster's talk and supper. DS was supposed to be there in the afternoon for Induction Afternoon but will be on a school trip to Cornwall.
Once Ds starts and if you like the school please feel free to ask me anything.