School uniform prices!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

What will you do about uniform?

Pay out for all brand new items which fit perfectly now?
44%
Buy as many secondhand items that you can find?
31%
Buy it so ridiculously large that it fits him/her until aged 18?!
25%
Refuse to buy it and campaign for cheaper uniform (!!)
No votes

Total votes: 32

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I understand where you are coming from as I used to buy all off the boys uniform new when they would start a new school, but as they have started too many new schools :oops: it was costing me too much!

Secondary school is different though, and I'm sure if my son goes to Eton I will kit him out in new clothes initially as it is a big event in his life. Ironically I tend to find its the most financially able that buy the second hand uniforms - they didn't get well off for no reason, after all!
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

My son grew enormously in his first year at secondary school and needed all new uniform at the beginning of Year 8 so beware!

Although I do usually buy all new uniform when they start a new school I try to get basic items like shirts and trousers from high street stores as they are half the price (John Lewis are very good) - as these get worn every day I don't buy these second hand but items that are worn once or twice a term (best uniform blazer) I definitely buy second hand. You'll no doubt find that many of the boys have older brothers so will be wearing hand me downs anyway so I really wouldn't be too worried about buying second hand.

I didn't really find the state school uniform to be much cheaper than private school uniform, it was just that they needed so much more at the private school (ludicrous amounts of games kit and best uniform that is worn very rarely).

I've got to do the school uniform shop in a couple of weeks time so I'm just off to arrange a second mortgage!
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

1 Blazer, 2 Jumpers, 2 blouses, 2 skirts, 1 Gym polo-top, 1 gym sweatshirt, 1 gym tracksuit bottom, 1 pair of gym shorts= £140. (all new)
I didn't think this was too horrendous although I suppose it depends on how fast she grows! Also she is an only child and I suppose I might think differently if I had 3 to buy for.
I wish trutex would make adjustable waistband skirts though (like in Next).
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Oopsy, just realised I'm in the Independent schools section and mine going to Grammar-I guess that makes a difference to price (although it shouldn't).
teacher

Post by teacher »

I used to look at the labels in the uniform and then find out where the wholesalers were and buy everything from there in their 'shop' on the premises. Saved a huge amount!
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

teacher wrote:I used to look at the lables in the uniform and then find out where the wholsalers was and buy everything from there in their 'shop' on the premises. Saved a huge amount!
This had also occured to me but the problem with this is that a lot of the uniform at my children's schools is embroidered with the school logos.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

KES has a very cheap uniform but being a huge snob I was a bit sad it didn't look a bit more exclusive! (Only joking :lol: )
tehmonkey

Post by tehmonkey »

Do the main school have different uniforms have different uniforms to what ed will have when he starts in Septemer. If so go for second hand stuff. Otherwise just do what your doing now and have a bit of both.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Tehmonkey - The main school wears the same uniform as Edward will wear at Marshall House - but the main school has a more EXTENSIVE kit than at Marshall. He will also change from a Marshall House tie to a Town House tie when he moves up in 2 years.
My mother in law gave us some money towards the uniform today and my mother has bought the blazer - very proud grandparents!! - so we are feeling quite relieved really.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

My main gripe is that the School uniform shop is only open 8 hours a week-1230 to 430pm Tues and Thurs. How convenient is that!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now