Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:15 am 

Hi

Has anyone got any advice about preparation for the entrance exam for Berkhamsted, please?

Was there a one-on-one interview of the child by a teacher and how did that go?

Any information gladly received!

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:22 am 
Hi Julie, I used to live a couple of miles from Berkhamsted and because of all the grammar schools in the area I don't think the assessments are too difficult as they have a lot of competition - many leave the school for aylesbury and chesham. Do you have a daughter in a prep school in the area as they should be able to advise? I thought the school was co-ed but maybe thats just the prep school? Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:49 am 

Hi,
My daughter's prep school sent 4 girls starting next month. As far as I learnt from those girls' mums;

Exam level was easier than Common entrance, SATs preparation also helps and verbal reasoning is similar of BUCKs 11+. They didn't do any particular coaching but passed no problems. Among those 4, 2 girls passed Bucks 11+. others didn't but were on border (119 & 117).

Interview was one to one with head mistress, the interveiw itself was not so difficult, just some chatting to see the character. But new head master coming in soon I understand, so it may change?

Quite popular for parents since there are boys & girls senior schools side by side (& join at 6th form). Obviously they do some activity together but separate for other time - ideal.

However you should be aware that they 'weed out' some weak pupil before A level - though it may change with new head.

Hope it helps - good luck!