Junior Scholarship & Junior Music Scholarship Open After

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KES Parent

Re: Junior Scholarship & Junior Music Scholarship Open A

Post by KES Parent »

Flamenco wrote:For those whose sons are in a state school, currently in Year 5 or below, you may be interested to keep Saturday, 8 Nov. free and come along to find out more about the above scholarships.

http://www.etoncollege.com/week.asp?wi=447

Cheers!
There doesn't seem to be much information about Saturday 8th November on this link.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think if anyone is interested they will probably need to call the school and put their name down on the open day.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Tips,
Guest55 being positive on an independent thread :shock: :?: :?:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Now behave, we must take all we can get. :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Now perhaps Zorro can admit there are some excellent schools that are totally FREE!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

I'm sure there are but not around here.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I do believe though that exceptionally gifted children and many with special needs cannot be catered for in state schools and there is a culture of bullying or stigmatism from peers and unfortunately adults, who should know better, when a child is very able.

So, yes there are good schools out there but it is very much one size fits all. Believe me, life would be so much easier, and CHEAPER if academically my DS was an average Joe.

What alternative would you choose if there were no GS schools, and no chance of getting into one? I think most would opt, and rightly so, for an independent school if they could afford one.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tipsy - state schools are like that around here. I've also taught in other parts of the country where everybody chose state because they were better.

You cannot generalis about SEN or G&T either - I have friends who took their child out of our local independent because she was bored - also others who were shocked at the attitude of another local independent towards their bright child who uses a wheelchair ...

It is not black and white - just grey - and we all try to judge the best for our own children
Flamenco

Re: Junior Scholarship & Junior Music Scholarship Open A

Post by Flamenco »

KES Parent wrote:
There doesn't seem to be much information about Saturday 8th November on this link.
Hello KES Parent,

Sorry about the seemingly lack of info on 8th November re the above scholarships open afternoon.

The college itself has a comprehensive website but more specifically for you the links below will give more details:

http://www.etoncollege.com/eton.asp?di=98#

Somewhere in the middle of the page under the heading, ‘Further Information’ please click on ‘Access Adviser’ and you’ll find even more details and an application form (pdf format). The rest is self explanatory.

How To Get There?
http://www.etoncollege.com/eton.asp?di=293

Don’t forget to download map(s) at top R/H corner of the above page.

Good luck!