Independent schools for boys in North West Kent area

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I love the philosophy of these schools but was never brave enough to try them. Definitely a good alternative although your son will have to lie about watching TV! :wink:
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Ed's mum wrote:I have fallen in love with the school!!! I would love to go there. I approve of the philosophy of the school.
Me too. I think even I might have survived the system at a school like that. Mine, despite being rather pricey, more or less destroyed me - not particularly their fault, but it wasn't a match made in heaven. :cry:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Same here. My school was a hothouse at the time, full of competitive girls who were super-bright, super-rich and super-b****y! The thought of being nurtured is appealing.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Steiner schools - now that's a whole new ball game. I have a very good friend who was Steiner educated. He's extremely clever, very knowledgeable about a whole range of things but can't cope with life - couldn't keep down a job, couldn't organise himself or cope with any sort of challenge. His brother, who went through the same system, has similar problems, though not so severe. It could of course be a family thing but I've always wondered if, lovely as I'm sure it is, the Steiner system failed to toughen him up for the real world.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Ed's mum wrote:Same here. My school was a hothouse at the time, full of competitive girls who were super-bright, super-rich and super-b****y! The thought of being nurtured is appealing.
Sounds familiar, although I could have put up with them if most of the teachers hadn't been so adept at bullying when they detected the slightest hint of any kind of vulnerability.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:Steiner schools - now that's a whole new ball game. I have a very good friend who was Steiner educated. He's extremely clever, very knowledgeable about a whole range of things but can't cope with life - couldn't keep down a job, couldn't organise himself or cope with any sort of challenge. His brother, who went through the same system, has similar problems, though not so severe. It could of course be a family thing but I've always wondered if, lovely as I'm sure it is, the Steiner system failed to toughen him up for the real world.
Could just be classic cleverness - one should know! :wink:
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

All i want is a nice school where he is going to be nurtured and encouraged to work to his strengths (and when i find them i'll let everyone know) :wink:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Reginaphalangie - One further thought, I know you've said you're not interested in boarding, but one of my son's friends goes to Gosfield School in Halstead, Essex. It's a tiny school (190 children from Y7-13) meant to be very big on pastoral care and not overly academic. My son's friend goes on a Monday morning and comes back Friday afternoon - he loves it. The fees are, I think, around £9-10k a year. Quite how they organise classes with such small numbers I don't know, but it might be worth a look? Don't look at the 2001 inspection report which is not very good, but the 2007 one seems to show considerable improvement.
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

Just looked at fees for boarding (not that i want to ! - why would i want to send my lovely boy away??) £4500 a term - errrr no...but thanks anyway bexleymum2 :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

That may seem expensive but by the time you factor in food and petrol its not that much more. I know you don't want him to board for 4/7 of a week but someimes we have to give our kids the best opportunities, even if we have to compromise, rather than sending them to a sink school. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now