Independent schools for boys in North West Kent area

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

RP :)

I think its important that there are some schools, which perplexed menioned, that take in below average children rather than let them perform even more badly in state school. Some of these schools may be useless, but great academic results does not make an independent school good. If anything, their pastoral care may be high as they are not seeking the best results at any cost. If you really think your child is not 11+ material then you are in a tricky position because I expect he is bright as he has teachers for parents so a weaker academic independent may not challenge him, and you may not like the behaviour or discipline in the local state school. It will come down to whats most important - I would choose the latter. Although I disagree with coaching for 11+, I would suggest you do it and see what happens because maybe he is brighter than you think. I always thought DS2 was way below average but aparently he is one of the brightest on his class! :shock: :oops:
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

King's, Rochester definitely take boys and girls who wouldn't pass the 11+. According to their website the only children they won't take are those with complex needs such that they cannot cope with mainstream teaching. Be aware that year 7 admissions would be into the prep school for 2 years, transferring at 13+ into the senior school. I think that 11+ is a major entry point though.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Kent99 wrote:King's, Rochester definitely take boys and girls who wouldn't pass the 11+. According to their website the only children they won't take are those with complex needs such that they cannot cope with mainstream teaching. Be aware that year 7 admissions would be into the prep school for 2 years, transferring at 13+ into the senior school. I think that 11+ is a major entry point though.
You could send him there in Year 6 if there were places and you wouldn't have to worry about over-subscription for Year 7 places.
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

hi all - sorry been at work etc..he is unfortunately not all that bright at mo...split classes in current year 5 by academica ability and he is in lower class and unfortunately in lower group academically of this group...don't know why....strains of his brothers disability, late August birthday, just doesn't 'get it', not interested in reading/writing would rather make things and sell them- be entrepreneurial- i would rather choose an adequate indie school over the state school (non selective)provision in our area as i want the pastoral care, the individual attention etc....and i know in the large comps (as also in large intake GS) there just isn't the time to spend with the kids...he needs smaller classes and kids and parents who are like minded i guess (and so do we) :) :)

Have considered Colfes (my sister went there for 6th form) but wasn't so sure on academic selection side of it...ie whether he would get in.

We have a tutor for him at moment - 1 hour a week maths, 1 hour a week NVR and VR....i think realistically he would have to be doing 15 hours a week tuition to get the 11plus (you never know tho!)...and he has barely the patience or desire for the 2 hours he already has and quite frankly i disagree with over tuition. (indeed i think 2 hours a week is pushing it) :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Have you considered a different type of school? I really am no expert at all in this (so forgive me) but something which is more holistic in approach?? Steiner school?? Do they do Montessori at that age???
I saw a documentary once about a school that was run in a (don't know how to spell it) yurt (sounds like hurt!!!) and they embraced nature, the outdoors. It really looked wonderful.
reginaphalangie

hi! I would consider any type of school where he is going to flourish (and not be pushed to breaking point having to take millions of GCSE's) and enjoy education (and not despise it and think its boring). Am not sure state system really gets the right balance - either GS or nonGS where we are.
Maybe i am being completely ignorant but i thought Montessori schools were just junior schools. Will look into Steiner schools....haven't heard anyone mention them in our area....
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I just used a search engine and came up with Canterbury Steiner School... .http://www.canterburysteinerschool.co.u ... &Itemid=47
reginaphalangie

Thats great Edsmum! Thanks but a long old way (would take 1hour and a half to get to in mornings probably)..i like the look of it tho :) :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Good idea Ed's mum. Here's he webpage of some schools but it may not be exhaustive so you could maybe stick it into yell.com.

http://www.steinerwaldorf.org/steinerschoolslist.html
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have fallen in love with the school!!! I would love to go there. I approve of the philosophy of the school.