Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:18 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bursary
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:31 pm
Posts: 89
Location: North West Kent
Hello all! Just a question or two about bursaries for indie schools. Have looked on a few websites of the schools i am interested in sending DS1 and they all mention bursaries but not many go into detail about how to access bursaries. When i was at indie school it was assisted places but i guess the terminology must have changed. My hubby and I earn around £55 k a year jointly - would this make us eligible for a bursary in anyones experience.. we also have a severely disabled son and the additional costs over and above that of raising a normal child(replacing bedding, clothes, broken household items)- i wonder if this could be taken into account? thanks for any help:) :) :) :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
Hi

the assisted places went I am afraid, most support is from the school itself and varied hugely though I think if you search you will find that there are plenty of comments on the board about how low the cut off point is for support ie people who aren't earning loads are still not able to get support or at least not much support, some schools are very up front about the levels eg KES in Birmingham

http://www.kes.bham.sch.uk/letters/ap_scale.pdf

they are probably more generous than most as they are an extermely wealthy foundation so others may not be able to match them


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:31 pm
Posts: 89
Location: North West Kent
Thanks hermann :) :) :) :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:47 am
Posts: 3310
Location: Warwickshire.
Not ignoring the question - but I already sent you a PM some days ago.
I think you should expect to answer many detailed questions about your finances - we certainly did for Rugby.
We will also be expected to reapply every March as, obviously, people's circumstances change.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 11:32 am
Posts: 138
I think some schools would take into account your household's extra expenses but realistically I think you will find it difficult to qualify for a bursary.

Other options-

Try for scholarships-academic and otherwise. Hard to come by but not means tested. Even though many scholarships (like ours!!) are now limited to 10% it all helps.

Else you do what many other people do. Downsize the house and car on the basis that a good education for your child is priceless!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:18 pm 
It depends on the school fees. The more expensive, the more likely you'll get a bursary. Many that I have seen work like this.

Income - (Mortgage payment + loan interest repayments)

With the figure left they deduct 70% and if the remaining 30% covers school fees then you would get nothing. The 70% is an average figure for bills, food etc...

This is a crude way to describe a more elaborate process we went through so they would take into consideration the expenditure you have with your other child, plus equity in your house etc, which means you could get a larger or smaller bursary depending on individual circumstances. I think you will get something with 55k as we did when we earned slightly more, although it was one income so it received more tax.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016