interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Post by zorro »

I made DS wear black jeans so they looked like fairly smart trousers.
He wore a v neck jumper with a plain white t-shirt underneath- but only under protest!
I do think you should make sure children look fairly smart but not to the extreme of some boys at Habs wearing jackets and ties(!) - I kid you not!!! :roll: :roll:
Definitely brush up on current affairs and make sure you have done some team-building type activities ( DS does Scouts and was asked a lot of questions about badges, camps etc).
Also asked about a recently read book, what was the plot, moral of the story etc.
Also did a lot of mental maths and asked if he had achieved anything memorable during Y6 so far.Fortunately DS and a classmate ( who ended up at HBS) had been chosen to attend a maths conference with several other Barnet schools and had won , culminating in London Borough of Barnet Head of Maths coming to their school and presenting them both with a certificate and prize in a Special Assembly.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

After discussing it with OH last night, we have decided DD will wear her choice of clothing on Friday to take the exams on on the following Wednesday (I think it is!) when she has her interview, she will wear a smart shift dress and cardigan with boots.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think the jackets and ties were probably part of the school uniform Zorro. I wasn't kidding when I said DS wears a tweed jacket and tartan tie! :lol:

I tool a friend on the junior scholarship day to Eton and there was a boy in a pinstripe suit with hanky sticking out pocket - at least he'll be memorable to the teachers! :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

No Tipsy, they definitely weren't wearing uniform as they were plain black/ dark blue suits no school badges or logos- and definitely not school ties! And believe me there are some pretty posh prep school uniforms round here!
And that was just for the exam- God knows what they wore for the interview - probably top hat and tails!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

That is just desperate! :shock:
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Snowdrops wrote:After discussing it with OH last night, we have decided DD will wear her choice of clothing on Friday to take the exams on on the following Wednesday (I think it is!) when she has her interview, she will wear a smart shift dress and cardigan with boots.
Am starting to get a little worried there's some kind of weird 'Parent Trap' scenario going on! :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

???????????????????

Sorry, not with you on this one!
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Twins, separated at birth, communicating in secret.......
Oh never mind! :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, having a senior moment there :cry:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Duuuuuh, just got my letter out to triple check the time of tomorrow's interview and it clearly states:

'The interview will be conducted by Mr ......., Deputy Head and will include questions about ........... interests and achievements, about her current school and also about some mainstream current affairs. We will also give each candidate a short passage to read which we will discuss'.

It would be great if I read the thing properly - just like I always tell DD to do :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now