interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: I tool a friend on the junior scholarship day to Eton and there was a boy in a pinstripe suit with hanky sticking out pocket - at least he'll be memorable to the teachers! :lol:
I thought you were supposed to pretend to be poor to qualify for the Junior Scholarship? I deliberately kept my DS at a skanky school up to Year 5 so that he could enter for it. (He still didn't get it - maybe the poverty on its own wasn't enough, or maybe his innate poshness shone through :wink: )
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This year there were 108 boys and we were told only 2 would get a JS. Many more come to the test but not the open day. They also said that 50% of candidates last year had an IQ below 100! :shock: I'm sure that's not why your DS didn't get one though KES. :wink:
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:This year there were 108 boys and we were told only 2 would get a JS. Many more come to the test but not the open day. They also said that 50% of candidates last year had an IQ below 100! :shock: I'm sure that's not why your DS didn't get one though KES. :wink:
That's kind of you to say so, Tipsy! :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Guess what KES? I'm drifting back to Win Coll this week! :roll:
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Guess what KES? I'm drifting back to Win Coll this week! :roll:
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist it in the end. Why don't you send Master Tipsy Major there, and Master Tipsy Minor to be a chorister (or quirister, not sure what they call them there) at the Pilgrims School? That would be jolly convenient all round.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"They also said that 50% of candidates last year had an IQ below 100!"

Which only goes to show that they're completely representative sample in terms of intelligence. Perhaps not quite what you'd expect though!

Anyway, I've obviously missed something about making my son wear a tie for an interview. Seems normal to me, but I'm not a hardened independent admissions veteran like most here. What am I missing?

Mike
bishopofhampstead

Post by bishopofhampstead »

I would only ever send DS to interview in smart suit and tie...is that really unusual/odd? Never considered anything less smart as appropriate...am I weird?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Snowdrops,
Your DD's school were very good to tell you what to expect at the interview!
Hope it goes well.
Zorro.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thanks Zorro - I'm just panicking now over whether or not I've sent her to school in the right tights (today's interview is in school uniform), they don't have holes in (!!!) but one's plain and one's patterned and I can't decide which ones she should have worn.

I've got an emergency pack ready for when I pick her up from school at 10.30 am, it consists of hairbrush, clothes brush, instant shoe shine kit and wet wipes - have I forgotten anything????????
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yikes, I'm repeating myself here:

I've just realised I've probably given you all nightmares imagining DD in patterned tights. I din't explain it very well, they are both plain black tights but one is smooth knit, whilst the other is like a rib knit (that's what I meant by patterned!!).

:oops: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now