interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Nervous, me? YES!!!!!!!

As we were nearing the school (about a 15 minute drive from us) I was trying to give her the last minute pep talk, as you do (don't spend too long on one question, go back at the end, etc etc etc) but she was having none of it - 'I KNOWWWWWW all that, stop going on MUM', 'Alright, OK, sorry for winding you up' replied a very cowed mum!!

I think she's officially an old hand at testing now :oops:
AB

Post by AB »

sycamore

Post by sycamore »

You are good,AB! Tupperware for NVR and matchstick puzzles without having to brave the bottom drawer in the kitchen! :lol:

Whenever anyone says 'smart casual' I always get a mental image of a party dress with Converse :lol: . DD is planning to wear a hoodie and jeans :roll: whereas I think something you'd wear for a family meal out would be more appropriate!

Hadn't occured to me that she would get the opportunity to ask questions and I think this where it's probably best to have a couple of ideas ready.

I'm sure all our DCs will do us proud. They save the pre-teen attitudes for their parents.

Hope the Snowdroplet's morning went OK.
AB

Post by AB »

sycamore wrote:You are good,AB!
Would you like a list of killer questions for an Indie school?

Do you have a student-led Council for the Lower forms?
When can I be Headgirl? :lol: :lol:
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

AB wrote:When can I be Headgirl? :lol: :lol:
If you have some kind of St Trinians 'thing' going on I suggest you keep it quiet! :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sycamore, are you sure our DC's haven't been comparing notes?

My DD is planning on wearing a hoodie and jeans too - they are smart ones though :)

Perhaps I should just prime her with a few questions of her own - might be no bad thing!!

She's very up with current affairs, she's one of the few children I know who reads a newspaper and it's a fight between her and me as to who gets the paper first once daddy's come in at night (he brings it home with him).
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

OOOOH, forgot to say, it's a whole day thing - she's probably having lunch right now, and then this afternoon they get to do 'nice' things (whatever 'nice' things are, as long as it's not art -s he's very quickly going off it!). This morning they did English, maths and nvr.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Please don't get cross with me BUT I'm not sure if a hoody and jeans are what your DC's should be wearing to independent school interviews. My boys and anyone else I've ever seen dress smartly. My boys would wear a shirt, cords and v-neck. It would be better for DD's to look like a sloane-girl :lol: but if that's out of the question then a pair of smart trousers and a blouse. We would never dream of turning up at a job interview in jeans and a hoody because the interviewer would immediately draw their own conclusions, rightly or wrongly, based on the effort we had made (or lack of).
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Tipsy, that's pretty much what I thought. I just don't know how to explain it to her without sounding like my mother! :shock: I am trying to steer her towards clothes that would normally get ironed IYSWIM. At the same time, appearing 'dressed up' can look a bit desperate. :?

She could never ever ever look sloaney, I would be forced to disown her!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

sycamore wrote:She could never ever ever look sloaney, I would be forced to disown her!
:lol:

There is always bribery - how do you think I manage to get my little chav in cords! :shock:

P.S. I am using the word chav as a term of indearment - cute hugable and volatile :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now