Financial help

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We've just received our application form for a bursary.

It's a veritable minefield going through the questions :shock:

I wonder if they award the bursaries on how capably the parents are able to fill it in :lol:

If it were down to me we'd fail miserably - I shall just leave it to oh to fill in and then hope for the best!
stevew61

Re: Christs Hospital

Post by stevew61 »

hopeforthebest wrote:I do know one boy who boards here...I also know one other boy and one other girl who were rejected after the weekend stay stage. .
Hi hopeforthebest,

Thanks for the information it does help to hear other people’s experiences.

So plan Z, I have too drink to excess for DS2 to qualify, beats all that tutoring. :lol: :lol:

Does look like a very interesting and diverse school.

steve
KES Parent

Re: Christs Hospital

Post by KES Parent »

stevew61 wrote: So plan Z, I have too drink to excess for DS2 to qualify, beats all that tutoring. :lol: :lol:
Does look like a very interesting and diverse school.

steve
If only we'd known of this alternative way of getting our children into a public school at a bargain rate - we could have been drinking away what money we had instead of working to earn more. :lol: Too late for me, but hopefully others will be able to take advantage of this novel way of qualifying. Throw in a divorce as well, and Bob's your uncle!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Now you tell me, just when master yoyo (the youngest) is about to leave school....
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

yoyo123 wrote:Now you tell me, just when master yoyo (the youngest) is about to leave school....
you mean you did not know Bob was your uncle?? :lol: :lol:
Sorry, it was just too hard to resist. We11 done, Tipsy, just to bring it on topic again.
moved

Post by moved »

Tonbridge offer a bursary (100%) on their advance scholarship. There are also a huge number of scholarship places at 11 (13 entry) and 13.

Brentwood in Essex will also offer 100%, despite telling me on the phone that they do not!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I recieved a letter from Winchester last year saying they hope to make 60 free places available. Anyone entering this school has to be seriously bright as 3/5 alone are well in the top 5%. But don't be put off, a parent knows if there child is very able and should go with their gut instinct and not be in awe of such an academic environment.

Also a number of prep schools offer large bursaries for children entering at Year 6 or 7. They spend 2/3 years there being prepared for a scholarship to senior school. The school works hard to secure as large a scholarship as possible at senior school.
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

Hi Tipsy, you are right about Fettes, I didn't find the Head very helpful in fact I thought he was rather flippant and yes, arrogant.
To cut a long story short, the Head asked me what subjects my son was interested in. I told him he enjoys History, and that he competed against fifteen other primary schools in a literacy competition. The task was to write a review on Scottish History and he came second. Well, I was very chuffed with that result, and he attended a prize giving ceremony at The Mound. The Head didn't even acknowledge that my son had done well, he just said
"Who came first, that's who i'm interested in!"
As mentioned before he also said in very clear terms that the bursaries were only available to children who passed the scholarship exams.

I was very weary of putting my child in for four exams but his school have said that he is very able and we should try for as many as possible. My son is also keen on sitting them so who am I to argue!! Bless him he is such a lovely boy and although I have told him it is a long shot (regarding getting the bursary, not regarding getting a respectable mark in the exam), he is keen to just have bash.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

kosar.irshad wrote:The Head didn't even acknowledge that my son had done well, he just said
"Who came first, that's who i'm interested in!"
I am truly stunned! :o They don't deserve your boy! :x
richmond

Post by richmond »

Please forgive my ignorance here but do any non boarding schools offer bursaries if you have an income over £30k. Have only just started looking into this (eldest dd is 9) and found her senior school Lady Eleanor Hollis do not offer anything if joint income over this amount and only if under £20k that you get a proportion. Is this the norm in your experience?

Thanks

Richmond
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now