Latymer Upper entrance exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well done you lot - fingers crossed for you all!
pennytruman

Post by pennytruman »

My son judged his exam performance accurately as 'not good enough'....with which Latymer Upper evidently agree as the letter bearing the 'disappointing news' that our son has not been selected for interview arrived yesterday, Tues 27 Jan.

Thank goodness Alleyn's have offered an interview!

Good luck on your own quest. Penny
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

Well, we've done the interview and now feel even more anxious! the euphoria of getting through now tempered with the reality of so many clearly talented children to compete against

not convinced daughter's answers were what they wanted and she had a maths question she couldnt answer at all - but has conveniently forgotten what it was so can't tell me

just one more interview to go then its a waiting game but not feeling at all confident on this one.
Thea

Post by Thea »

MK -sympathise over the wrong answer/ forgotten question!!! Not necessarily a show-stopper tho'
Good luck
Best Regards,
Thea
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

oo
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

from what i can work out the English was reading a piece and then comprehension questions - she said 2 words were unfamiliar and she stumbled on them but understood what it was all about and answered the comprehension questions well. For the maths when she said she didnt know the first one she was asked a second one which she thinks she got right

so its all a bit mixed really - she got to talk about her drama, swimming, clarinet etc, editing the school newspaper and conveyed tons of genuine exctiement about the school so I think she did okay in that respect - its just whether academically she made the grade

so who knows - Arts Ed audition next week in case we decide to go down that route

All we can do is wait and see what offers come and then take a view - wouyld still love Latymer though - it impresses on every visit
cinnamon

Latymer Upper entrance exams

Post by cinnamon »

I was interested to read this - my daughter was also interviewed yesterday and maintains she wasn't asked any maths questions, just read the English comprehension piece and had a general chat.

Mind you, her interviewer was a geography teacher, maybe that's relevant?!

Anyway, I think showing enthusuasm for the school is very much what they're looking for: my older daughter was interviewed on the day she received an offer from the school she was dying to go to and let this slip. As a result (I suspect), no offer from Latymer. Their policy, 3 years ago, at least, was to offer to children who'd accept so they aren't juggling acceptances/places/waiting list.

Hope it turns out well for Mittenkittylet.
westlondonmum

Latymer Upper - offer for DD

Post by westlondonmum »

So chuffed, DD received offer for Latymer Upper today. All hard work and stress worth it. Have to wait until next week for girls' schools, but unlikely to change our minds as Latymer was always our favourite.

Sorry to gloat, but also wondering how others have got on?
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

if gloating is permitted then we can also say we have offer from Latymer today - we too have other offers and other aschools we havent heard from but Latymer is our favourite - we'e saying yes and are very excited

well done to you and your child - I do think itas a great school and I hope they'll all be very happy there

it is a huge relief - but thoughts are with those still waiting. Just keep positive!
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

Another Latymer offer here! Something of a relief as I wasn't sure my daughter had made it clear at the interview that she would love a place there (very impressed by the theatre and art studios).

By the way, does anyone remember how large the intake is/how many classes there are in each year? I couldn't find this in a quick look at the website.

'Just' 3 more schools to hear from now...

Well done to everyone else who's got through and commiserations to those whose news today wasn't so positive.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now