Ok getting nervous now

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Freya

Ok getting nervous now

Post by Freya »

Please all cross your fingers for DS sitting Llandovery entrance exam tomorrow! :shock:

First thing he said to me this morning was "I'm feeling nervous about tomorrow." Now I'm feeling nervous too :cry: I've done my very best to act as if it is no big deal all along and have told him that he can only do his best and we will be proud of him as always. Wish someone would sit me down and say 'it's no big deal'. LOL

Do they normally leave you waiting ages for the results?

DS started a speed and agility course last night (8 weeks) to train a bit for Christ College sports scholarship assessment day in February. The coach was rather shocked at just how far he managed to throw the junior medicine ball (7.63 metres) - it nearly hit him on the head! LOL :shock:

Has anyone any experience of sports scholarship assessment days? All I know is that it involves an assessment of all round athleticism and they won't necessarily be looking at him playing rugby (his strongest).
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Do they normally leave you waiting ages for the results?
From experience last year with our son, they tell you extremely quickly. We had to go through several stages of exams and interviews etc but from beginning to end it took less than 3 weeks. If we hadn't been in need of a bursary - which required a further interview - it would have been even quicker.

We applied to two independents and both were fast in informing us. I was extremely impressed. I hope it's the same for you. All the best for tomorrow.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Freya,

I saw one on TV once and they had the boys doing all sorts of sports from hockey, football, tennis and cross country. I think they are looking for stamina, agility, reflexes and ball skills, plus how they work as a team. They will also be looking at his attitude and interaction whilst getting changed, waiting his turn and if he will try anything even if its new to him. Sports scholarships are fun days though so he will enjoy it! :)

It's good DS is getting nervous as this must be a sign that he wants to go to a school othe than his local comp.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Ed's Mum - Thanks for that - I think I can just about stay calm for 3 weeks. That's not too bad at all!

Tipsy - oooh you think like me! :wink: I told him to treat his nerves just like he does with an important rugby match - use the adrenaline to achieve a better performance. He identified with that.

Good points also about how they will be looking for attitude and interaction whilst getting changed, waiting his turn etc. Yes, I'm sure he
will enjoy the assessment day much more than exam day LOL :lol:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

DD sat the entrance test for a local indie on Saturday, finished about 1.30. We got a 'phone call about 5.30 same day saying she'd been marked and had passed and been selected for a scholarship interview - most impressive (school marking that is...and DD of course!). Interview was Wednesday, should know the result tomorrow...
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DS2 was told within 3 hours that he had a choristership which surprised me. I suppose it depends on the size of the school.

I meant to say Freya that they wouldn't be expecting him to be good at every sport on the scholarship day but more about how quickly he picks up the basics. I think being a fast runner or at least an endurance runner would be good too.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Loopyloulou - Wow that's so efficient! Very well done to your DD, you must be so proud of her! Good luck for the interview result - i have my fingers crossed!

Tipsy - They must have been very impressed by your son! Are you definitely decided on that route then? Where is he going? Or is he already there - I've been reading the threads as you can see but have lost track of timings of everything LOL

I know they won't expect my DS to be good at every sport - just to have good all-round sporting ability. He's not a good swimmer but pretty amazing at everything else. He was the fastest boy in training last night!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Thanks Freya, crossed fingers all around!
Loopy
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

...so how was it Freya? Hope all went well.
Loopy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now