Update on entrance exams & interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Freya

Update on entrance exams & interview

Post by Freya »

Hi all

DS sat Llandovery entrance exams on Saturday. I thought you might be interested to hear how it went.

The format was 9:00am start, maths paper, english paper then NVR paper. 12:15pm break for lunch (provided in school dining room - very nice). Interview lasting 10 minutes after lunch.

DS came out of exams really happy with the NVR. He said the questions were harder than the ones we practised with but he knew that he had 'got' them. He had enough time to complete all the papers and check over in maths and NVR but only just enough time in english where he said the comprehension was difficult.

The interview was supposed to only last 10 mins but DS was in there for 20 mins. Is that a good thing? Hope so! He was shown a 'fish' made out of matches and flat on the table. He was told to move only two matches to make the fish face the other way. DS couldn't work it out and after a coouple of minutes just said 'no, I don't know how to do this'. At least he didn't say "I can't" LOL. Then he was asked what he would do if he was one of three people on a dessert island and they had to eat one person to survive. He said that he would go fishing. ??? Is that ok? At least he didn't say that he would eat the most annoying person (which is what he told me when he came out! LOL). Other questions were quite general about interests, pets and current reading book.

Afterwards he had his favourite dinner at home and was allowed a very small half glass of beer. The next day he got to let out all his pent up emotions / frustrations on the rugby pitch where they won 20-0!

We will find out results on 28th Jan which is pretty good! :D I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks once again to all who have provided great advice and encouragement, especially the person who encouraged me to attack the NVR immediately (sorry, was it Rob?). It really did pay off. His first attempts were coming in at only 50% but after only a couple of papers he had increased that to 85-90% It just goes to show that a little bit of familiarisation goes a heck of a long way. I'm so glad I took your advice - DS's face when he was telling us how great the NVR went made my eyes fill up!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Wow, what great questions - don't know if the answers are right or wrong though, sorry :cry:

My DD's got her exams and interview this week, don't know how shed react to those questions!!

I think your DS did VERY well.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

No idea about the fish question although I do think the questions were quite tough and a bit Oxbridge-like! :shock: :lol:

The desert island answer shows that he is not willing to accept eating a man as the only solution and will looks for alternatives which I think shows leadership qualities as he'll think out of the box.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now