DD's Back From First Exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Post by mad? »

Snowdrops

As long as they are not fishnet stocking I don't think it matters! We went through the same last year and with the benefit of hindsight I would say that say long as they dont look a total state or like a fashion diva you are fine.

As for wearing a tie, I'm afraid I think that is a bit weird. The interviewers will expect you to care, but hopefully your child can still be a child.

sorry - this last bit refers to the other thread!
mad?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Thanks for the reassurance, Mad - it's much appreciated!!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

"As for wearing a tie, I'm afraid I think that is a bit weird. The interviewers will expect you to care, but hopefully your child can still be a child."

Weirdness is relative; if it says "smart casual or school uniform" as they all seem to, son and wife will both immediately opt for school uniform (typical state primary in this case) and THAT's what I call "weird" since he'll DEFINITELY be the only one! Sticking out for smart is the nearest thing to a sensible solution and they'll both go along with it.

And how on earth does putting on smart clothes once in a while mean depriving him of his childhood? I find that statement deeply weird. They're not toddlers, they are growing up (and maturing very rapidly at this stage) and dressing for a particular event is part of it.

Mike
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sorry you find it weird Mike. I was responding on the wrong thread :oops: to this
bishopofhampstead

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:25 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would only ever send DS to interview in smart suit and tie...is that really unusual/odd? Never considered anything less smart as appropriate...am I weird?

I don't have sons so have not personally had to address the tie issue. But as my kids did state primary as well I don't know any 10/11 year old boys with ties so it just seems odd to me......each to his own
mad?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi mad,

It wasn't that long ago that most state school uniforms had shirts and ties, and I'd be surprised if the boys at the independent don't have a tie in their uniform. An interviewer would never find it weird that a child had a tie on, just normal.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi

I guess it depends what the dress code is. I would suggest smart might mean a tie and smart/casual wouldn't. Either way, luckily with DDs like Snowdrop I haven't had to address this issue. My general point remains that they just shouldn't look a mess or like they are attending a fashion show (more a DD issue I suspect). Either way I wonder how Snowdroplet is getting on?
mad?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree, smart casual would exclude a tie - but the main thing in my opinion is to prevent him turning up in a scruffy state primary uniform, and in our case that means jacket and tie since for some weird reason he refuses to wear normal clothes for these events. And he does scrub up quite well - it's nice to see him not looking as though he's been dragged through a hedge backwards!

Anyway, good luck Snowdrops and daughter. I find waiting around during exams particularly tense; I spent the entire day last Friday fretting that son (NOT in a jacket and tie - that would be positively psychotic for an exam IMO!) would have been refused entry to his exam because I forgot to give him the letter he was supposed to take, and worrying that I might have given them my desk number instead of my mobile so they wouldn't be able to contact me to collect him because I was working from home...managed to persuade myself not to phone them to check...

Mike
mad?

Post by mad? »

well done for not calling!
Last year I dropped DD1s registration slip with her number etc etc on it down a drain on the roadside outside school. I had to get on my hands and knees and lift the drain cover to retrieve it, in front of DD1 and a selection of (variously attired) children and parents. :oops: I got filthy hands, ruined my jacket (yes, for some reason I had worn a jacket to her exam...) and DD1 nearly passed out from the shame of it. One year later I still feel sick at the memory so I do know how you feel...but she did get a place...
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now