Solihull Independent School Vs King Edwards Aston (B-ham)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Abs786

Solihull Independent School Vs King Edwards Aston (B-ham)

Post by Abs786 »

Hi
My son has a place at KE Aston but he also has a full assisted place at Solihull Independent School. I am in a dilemma about where to send him, can anyone please advise.

Many Thanks :P
KenR

Post by KenR »

I think a lot will depend on:-

(a) Your financial circumstances and potential future changes - the assisted place will still mean you have to make a contribution I guess.
(b) The relative logistics of getting to Aston or Solihull - (don't know where you live in the West Midlands). I believe that there should be a Green Bus to Aston from most areas of B/Ham
(c) What school your son wants to go to

I would definitely recommend phoning up the admissions officer at Aston and asking for a visit with your son during the school day. They are normally helpful.

Regards
Abs786

Post by Abs786 »

Hi KenR

I live closer to Solihull than Aston but we live on the bus route for both the schools; for this year I do not have to pay any money at all.

How do both the schools compare?

Abs786
KenR

Post by KenR »

Don't know that much about KE Aston, but based on heresay I believe it is a very good school as are all of the KE Foundation Grammars.

Solihull is also an excellent school, we know a number of parents that have or had children there.

You generally find with Independent schools like Solihull that pupils have a bit more time to take extra curricula activities simply because the school does not have to follow the rigid demands of the National Curriculum.

Results from both schools at GCSE and A Level are excellent.

The main difference will be that Aston is single sex and Solihull Co-Ed, the latter is sometimes seen as an advantage for Boys as girls are more motivated in the early years. However tbhis comes down to personal preferences.

And of course Solihull has longer school holidays!

As I mentioned, I would take a tour of both schools again with your son to help make up your minds.

Regards
solimum

Post by solimum »

Solihull has longer school holidays!
I'd forgotten that (see my reply on the Birmingham forum) - a source of great irritation to my children when their friends have all that extra time off! Could be an irritation to you too of course if you're at work...
Abs786

Post by Abs786 »

Thank you all we are visiting Solihull school tomorrow. To have a look around.

We will also go to KE Aston later.

Abs786
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now