St Paul's Girls' School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hanna

St Paul's Girls' School

Post by hanna »

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how the St Paul's Girls' School exam compares to the consortium papers? I cannot find any practice papers. What is science comprehension? My daughter does not learn much science in school. Is the maths much more difficult than the other papers? Is the English different?

thanks
hopeforthebest

Post by hopeforthebest »

When is your DD doing the exam. Thought this year's was yesterday?
hanna

Post by hanna »

Hi,

Not until next year but all the chatter from the year 6 moms I know is making me nervous.
cinnamon

St Paul's Girls' School

Post by cinnamon »

Hanna,
my daughter sat this last week and says it was 'a bit harder' than the Godolphin & Latymer exam (the only Consortium exam she sat). These are her opinions of the papers.

The maths consisted of three papers:
1) White - fairly easy.
2) Green - a bit harder, but OK.
3) Purple - hardest, but not impossible.

She did say that other girls disagreed over which was hardest.

English was a comprehension, an essay and they had to write lyrics to a song which arose from the comprehension text.

Science comprehension - a text about water pollution with various questions on the content. Only a couple of questions required any real science knowledge.

If your daughter is, like mine, at a state primary, science is part of Year 6 SATS so she shouldn't find scientific terminology a complete unknown by this time next year. On the other hand, I'd presume any private school would also include science in its curriculum - maybe something to check with her teacher.

Good luck if you go ahead with St Paul's next year.
cinnamon

St Paul's Girls' School

Post by cinnamon »

Forgot to say my daughter wasn't tutored - we'll find out whether this was a bad move in about 3 weeks!