Oundle school, sevenoaks school Kent, Christs Hospital surr

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

another mother

Post by another mother »

I've been reading this with interest - and some amazement - CH does a great job as far as I can see and offers a great opportunity to some DC who wouldn't have it otherwise - which would seem to be a good thing for all - both them, their generation and indeed us in our dotage.. I'd certainly be impressed by a school that can turn out both the Rob Gauntlets and Bernard Levin's of this world.
but I am amazed at any assumption that there aren't troubled and very disfunctional families in the private sectors. In our experience there are a considerable number - in fact social services have been called in for one acquaintance of my elder dd - because parents are away so much and leave her on her own - and another has a mother who tells her she looks so much better - now she's anorexic. You simply can't make the assumption that because parents are forking out a whack of money they are always putting the love and care and atttention in that perhaps they should..
Sorry rant over..
CHmum

Post by CHmum »

another mother wrote:I've been reading this with interest - and some amazement - CH does a great job as far as I can see and offers a great opportunity to some DC who wouldn't have it otherwise - which would seem to be a good thing for all - both them, their generation and indeed us in our dotage.. I'd certainly be impressed by a school that can turn out both the Rob Gauntlets and Bernard Levin's of this world.
but I am amazed at any assumption that there aren't troubled and very disfunctional families in the private sectors. In our experience there are a considerable number - in fact social services have been called in for one acquaintance of my elder dd - because parents are away so much and leave her on her own - and another has a mother who tells her she looks so much better - now she's anorexic. You simply can't make the assumption that because parents are forking out a whack of money they are always putting the love and care and atttention in that perhaps they should..
Sorry rant over..
You are so right! It is widely known that CH gives SOME children from difficult home circumstances a wonderful opportunity. However, it is narrow-minded to assume that these 'difficult circumstances' only affect CH children.

It has been said on this forum that CH is not entirely selective, which is wrong. ALL prospective pupils have to sit and pass the entrance exams. It is only then that other factors, such as low income, disabled parent, home environment etc are taken into account. Donation governors can choose to present a pupil, and can specify that they have to have a talent for music, sport, maths etc, but ALL pupils will still need to pass the entrance exams. Nobody is offered a place simply because they have a 'need', they still have to pass the exams. Likewise, those pupils who come from more prosperous families, who will be paying full fees, still have to pass the exams.
dinah

Post by dinah »

This is absolutely right. The first exam is extremely difficult because you can't coach for it. The Maths is fairly reasonable and simliar to the 11+ or NC . The English is a series of very difficult cloze exercises which require a high level of reading and an exceptional command of vocabulary. By passing this you are already doing extremely well.
The residential is a test of stamina along with the exams. It is two days of VR, NVR, English, Maths , Quantative , sport , music and interviews. The need issue doesn't arise until all this has been dealt with.
CHmum

Post by CHmum »

I forgot to add, CH exams are in two stages. The first, intial exams are quite general, meaning candidates can't be 'tutored' through them. The top 250-300 pupils are then put forward to the second stage, which involves a two-day stay at CH with numeracy, literacy, quantative and sports tests. There is also an interview. In addition candidates can choose to do an art and music audition. During their stay the candidates are discretely watched and notes are made on their suitability to be part of such a wonderful school! 56 boys and 56 girls are then offered places. In my book that's very selective.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

CHmum wrote:In my book that's very selective.
Quite!

:D
dinah

Post by dinah »

:D
CHmum

Post by CHmum »

My DD scored 419 in the 11+. That would guarantee her a place at TOGGs and other popular grammars. I didn't enter her for any indie entrance exams other than CH, I just didn't see the need. I always knew that if she was offered a place at CH she would want to go there - her choice!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now